Return pump recommendations?

kaipo13

Non-member
I am setting up a ~130 gallon tank, using a ~25 gallon tank as a sump/refugium. The top of the display tank is almost exactly 4 feet from the bottom of the sump. Since I have an older tank, I will be utilizing an Eshopps PF-1000 overflow box. Can anyone give me a recommendation as to what size return pump I should be using? I was thinking of using a mag drive pump, but what size? Is there any rule of thumb about how much water should be passing through my sump? Since the aquarium is being set up in my bedroom it would be great if it wasn't too loud, although it doesn't have to be quiet as I run an AC almost all the time anyway.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Eheim 1262. Quiet efficient and will work for a long time. It also does not transfer much heat to the tank.

Most people look to turn over water volume 3 to 10 times an hour. Flow in the tank should come from power heads or closed loop

Have you thought about drilling the tank to make it reef ready instead o a hang on back ovrflow?

Last edited:
Eheim 1262. Quiet efficient and will work for a long time. It also does not transfer much heat to the tank.

Most people look to turn over water volume 3 to 10 times an hour. Flow in the tank should come from power heads or closed loop

Have you thought about drilling the tank to make it reef ready instead o a hang on back ovrflow?

This is an older 60s or 70s tank with the metal frame, I have no idea if the glass is tempered, and I really don't feel comfortable drilling glass this thick. So you're saying the rule of thumb would be ~390-1300 gph?

Usually based on turn over rate. I look to turn over 10x/hr mainly SPS, you can research that to see what works for you depending on you livestock filtration setup

But you need to know what you overflow/drain can handle and what the head pressure on the pump will be.

RC has a few calculator for this
headloss
http://reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

overflow/drain size
http://reefcentral.com/index.php/drainoverflow-size-calc

You may not find the exact pump you are looking for on the calculator but a little cross reference on pump curve charts
you can compare similar pumps.

The Ehiem is a good pump but on the expensive side, similarly the oceanrunner pumps are also quite but on the cheaper side.
both can be used internally or externally.

To assure it being quite I would opt for flexible piping and lower a turnover rate.

Do not take this as any concrete answer. +1 on the power heads for flow. You only pushing up the water 4', plus the overflow box is only going to drain so much at one time in regards to flow.

I use a rio2100 on a 55g with a powerhead or two. I realize your talking a bigger tank. I guess the easiest thing would be to keep both requirements compartimentalized... Flow and filtration. Price I am sure is a concern again. I want to say the rio2100 goes for like $60.00 and I like them as my experience has been they are reliable and you will get more noise from the overflow box draining. I had my first one for 5/6 years before I has to change the impeller. I love the white noise as it helps me sleep.

I would be moreso concerned of the older tank with the metal. I am sure the salt will eat at those and who knows what they will release into the tank water in the long run. Just something to think about.

I am sure someone with more experience will chime in over the next day or two. Afterwards you may want to step back and rethink your plan of action before moving forward.

This is just one persons opinion and take from it what you will and form your own opinion.

Regardless you are in the right place as there is a bunch of people on this forum with a multitude of experiences. Good and bad. Learn from their errors.

Good Luck in your decision and hope to see you at a meeting soon.

Regards,

I have to agree I would be concerned with using an old tank. 130 gallons is a considerable amount of water I would be concerned about the integrity of the tank seams.

You are going to sink a lot of money into this, do you really want to risk that kind of investment on a 30-40yrs old tank?

I have to agree I would be concerned with using an old tank. 130 gallons is a considerable amount of water I would be concerned about the integrity of the tank seams.

You are going to sink a lot of money into this, do you really want to risk that kind of investment on a 30-40yrs old tank?

The tank is solid. Scrape out old silicon, replace with new, presto...

The glass is much thicker than what you see in glass tanks made today, I've had the tank for a number of years. Corrossion of the stainless steel on the center brace is a concern that I hadn't really considered, but it is stainless, and I never had any noticeable problems when I had the tank set up previously so I think I'll chance it. Maybe I'm just being hardheaded, but I don't think getting rid of something old just because it's old makes very much sense if the item is sound. Thanks for looking out.

Also look at the Octopus Water Blaster pumps. I have a 3000 on my 57gal and I also got a 5000 for my 90gal that I am redoing. They are very quiet and energy efficient.

I am setting up a ~130 gallon tank, using a ~25 gallon tank as a sump/refugium. The top of the display tank is almost exactly 4 feet from the bottom of the sump. Since I have an older tank, I will be utilizing an Eshopps PF-1000 overflow box. Can anyone give me a recommendation as to what size return pump I should be using? I was thinking of using a mag drive pump, but what size? Is there any rule of thumb about how much water should be passing through my sump? Since the aquarium is being set up in my bedroom it would be great if it wasn't too loud, although it doesn't have to be quiet as I run an AC almost all the time anyway.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I do not agree with 10x flow through the sump at all. With a correctly sized skimmer a 3-5x flow rate is recommended for proper skimming. 10x130 gallons (1300gph) is a bit much through a 25 gallon sump, it would be noisy. Another poster, beckbrass, recommended a Eheim 1262. My recommendation is a Eheim 1260 that would give you 635gph at 4' head which is 5x. Eheim pumps are super quiet compared to Mags, I've had both. I have gotten 5-10 years out of Eheim return pumps. They are well worth the extra money.
If you've not setting up the tank yet I reccomend getting an overflow from glass-holes.c** instead of relying on a hob overflow and drill the tank. They have great instructions on drilling the tank, provide a diamond bit but if you're uncomfortable doing it ask someone here who's done it before to help you. I've never done it, I've had B @ Skipton's do it and I've paid him. IMO hob overflows are flood waiting to happen. I've experienced this before. Jay and I are the BRS flood masters!
You should rely on display tank flow from powerheads NOT your return pump. To qualify this let me tell you about my set up. I have 60 cube with a 15 gallon sump. I use a Eheim 1250 which puts out about 250gph at 4' head which is 4x. For display tank flow I used a Ecotech MP40. I would recommend 2 MP40 pumps in sync mode for a 130 gallon tank. If you can't afford $900 for 2 MP40 pumps I recommend Hydor Koralia pumps NOT on a wave maker.

Last edited:
u ever consider drilling the sump & putting an external..less rise in water temp & much more effecient in electical consumption....Like a gen-x external...1140 gph with only 105 watts max...with ur setup & head pressure ur looking more like 80 watts...... Just another option....People in the club have the drill bits & if u ask nice u will probably find someone willing to do it for u for free or maybe a beer or two at a meeting!!!
HTH
B

With 4' head a Water Blaster 5000 would push about 700 gph at less than 60 watts and will be much quieter than a Gen-X Mak4. I ran a Mak4 but it was in the basement so the noise was not an issue but if it was in my living room it would drive me nuts and my wife would kill me. And I agree with Brian, I would get the tank drilled, find someone if your not comfortable doing it yourself. Depending on where you are I know that Skiptons and CRA both offer drilling, but finding a member to do it will be cheaper.

WB5000-chart.jpg

Last edited:
Back