Royal Gramma Agressive? Spot In Tank Growing Green Algae because Clean Up Crew...

agentfive

Non-member
We have a Royal Gramma in our Biocube 14 gallon - he loves to sleep under the rock in the front - but he defends his territory. Our Emerald Crab, 2 Blue Hermits, and the Zebra Hermits all either get picked up and thrown or scared away by him. The only thing that can get to cleaning the rock is the Turbo or other snails. Currently the Turbo is working on the rock now - but after about a week of not being able to clean it starts to get fuzzy green algae - all other rocks in the tank are sparkling - so it's not a phosphates or other issue.

Any ideas? We were lead to believe the Royal Gramma was peaceful - also we are planning on a second fish at the end of the month - Firefish or the like. Would that make the gramma less the "only fish in the tank".

We are also feeding him every other day - and when we feed him every other day he's very hungry - but that's what we want. :) Maybe he's hungry and too aggressive? No idea - just tired of cleaning the green off one rock in the front because of Mr. Gramma - who's also a big hit and we love him besides this crazy need to be so agressive.

We had a Royal Gramma for a while and she was peaceful with the other tankmates unless they came into her "territory", then she wasn't having it at all. I think another fish should be fine, they will quickly learn not to go into her space if they don't want to mess with her.

I keep referring to him as "she" and "her" because we always thought of ours as a she, since she was a "gramma". :D

Any ideas on the algae issue? I guess it's not that bad - but I'd like her/his area to not have to have much work. Perhaps I can add another Turbo or similar snail as our two blue hermits are ineffective and have also been missing for 2 weeks.

What other tankmates did you get? We are thinking Firefish next.

If you get a couple of snails, she/he won't be able to just pick them up and move them, that might be your best bet...you could place them right on the algae.

Our gramma had several other tankmates, we have a large system, so we have many different fish. With a small tank, it's a bit tougher because even though she may only be aggressive as far as her territory, her territory may seem big in a small system.

i got a gramma from someone who had it as the only fish in their tank... boy was he agressive! so much so that he was dubbed Dr. Evil. it took me 4 months to catch him and get him out of my tank... too bad because the color was amazing, but seeing as he attacked anything that moved (including my hand) it wasn't worth it to me. hopefully yours isn't quite as aggressive. good luck!

Are you sure it's a Royal Gramma? The Bi-Color Psuedochromis has identical coloration and is as mean as they come! Especially to inverts. The two are commonly confused with one another.

Probably a dumb question but just asking.

+1...pseudochromis I had was as mean as a snake, but my gramma has been a model reef citizen.

Back