RTN, Skin Infection, & Wear Gloves!

SherryQ

loves pufferfish
Wear Gloves! I've heard it many times before, but never paid attention. I only wore gloves to clean my skimmer cups or when I was fragging zoanthids -never for cleaning the tank. Well, I will now always wear gloves. Here is my story.
Monday afternoon/night I worked on my large reef tank. I've been really busy at work the past couple of months and the aquariums have been a bit neglected. As a result, 2 of my acros were suffering from RTN. So, I made the time to finally work on the tank. I cleaned all the powerheads, cleaned the sump, put fresh carbon in, and did 2 small water changes and picked out algae. I remember bumbing my hand into one of my acros and breaking of a couple of its tips. Somewhere along the way - maybe when I bumped into the acro - I got some small scratches on my fingers and hand. I wasn't concerned it always happens. So, I did the usual thing and when I finished working on the tank Monday night I scrubbed my hands and put antibiotic ointment on the cuts. Well, Monday night I woke up with my finger throbbing with pain. By Tuesday afternoon it had become swollen and the pain was intense. Luckily I work with an ER doctor. I stopped by his office at the end of the day and he prescribed an oral antibiotic. I started taking it last night. So far, no improvement.
So, the moral of the story - WEAR GLOVES!

An interesting note is that last night I was looking at my tank and noticed the RTN/bleaching was affecting other corals as well :( - some of the acros, my montipora digitata, and maybe even my frogspawn :( So, I dug out Borneman's Aquarium Corals book to do some research (something I should have done sooner) and on page 382 he mentions that one person did a test of the water in the bags of RTNing corals and found high levels of the bacteria vibrio vulnificus. That person suggested that this may be what causes corals to RTN. Boreman tended not to believe in that theory, but I found it particulary interesting given that of all the times I've scraped my hand in my tank this is the only time that I've ever developed an infection. Vibrio vulnificus is a bacteria that effects humans as well and my doctor mentioned it could possibly be a vibrio bacteria.

So, now I have a painful swollen finger and can only watch as my corals die off. :(
So, WEAR THOSE GLOVES!

Sherry

Oh, this morning I finally realized what may have led to the corals RTNing in the first place - a heat spike I had about a month ago when our AC failed.

You might want to get that finger checked again if it doesn't show some fast improvement. You can mark the edge of the red area with a marker and see if it is getting largetr or smaller. Vibrio can be fatal and is often resistant to drugs. My dad lost a good hunk of his foot to this. The doctor in Aruba called it a "coral infection", so now Dad thinks I'm going to keel over from feeding my fish :rolleyes:

(You can trust all of this medical information becauseI know this guy whos wife is a doctor ;) )

Thanks for the advice. I'm keeping a close eye on it and so is the doctor I work with. If there is no improvement by tomorrow or if it gets worse we are going to try a different antibiotic. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Sherry - I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. I cut my hand with a knife - outside of the tank - didn't think anything of it. Kept working in the tank with no gloves. About a week goes by and my finger starts throbbing and I notice it's all swollen. I go to the doctor and he prescribed antibiotics. He was very concerned about it - he said that cuts on the hands can travel up the arm very quickly and be fatal. He checked to make sure I didn't have any red streaks running up my arm, and he checked my lymph nodes under my arm. He told me that if the swelling didn't start to go down in a day that I should go back. Luckily it started to go down immediately after I started taking the antibiotics. Make sure you keep a close eye on it and go back to the doctor if it doesn't start to get better by tomorrow.

Daire

ps...I still don't wear gloves! :D I used to in the 75, but the new tank is so deep the water gets in the gloves anyways - even the ones that go all the way up to the shoulder!

Wow, I guess I lucked out the other day. I cut some zoas off of a rock and moved them and ended up re scaping my whole tank. I had my arms in the tank for a couple hours. Later that night I was surfing BRS and noticed my forearm was throbbing, I felt a little dizzy, and then I noticed a scratch on my arm. I drank lots of water and kind of monitored myself for a few hours until I felt better. I just didn't want my wife to freak out...

Sherry, sorry to hear .....PLEASE,PLEASE keep a close eye on this and dont do the usual "itll go away i am to busy" thing
checking with the doc and doing the antibodies is a good start NOW keep the eyes on it !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
I know I will actually learn my lesson when it finnally happens to me. To be honest with you, I never wear any kind of glove or anything when I work inside the tank. And sometime I do get cuts. As a matter of fact, I just finish my re-aquascaping for the 20th time. Even though I read about all these infection , I never care much about it. But I think, this is the last time I be working inside the tank without any gloves. After reading those articles, it scares the sh** out of me.
So tomorow, I'll order a couple pairs of aqua gloves.
I hope everything will go well for you and keep checking with your doctor.

Thank you for all the kind words. So far the finger is still swollen, but the pain has decreased a lot. No red streaks. I am trying to meet up with my coworker Doctor right now before I go off to a conference for the day.

Hey Hey Hey....

ALL of you be careful.. I've heard some horror stories like this before. Though.. I too am guilty of not wearing gloves.

More importantly...our hobby is not dominated by nice gals like you all... we can't lose ya! Be careful!

D

Try some of those antibiotics in the tank and see if they stop the necrosis. ;)
Okay, that's crazy.
But if one could set up a Q/T tank, drop in a coral in the midst of RTN, and treat with a bit of those antibiotics, it'd be an interesting experiment.

Back