Salinity dilemma

pugz508

BRS Member
So everything was going too good, should have known something was going to happen .

I started a AWC (auto water change) using Neptune's dos pump. My barrel mix was 1.024-matching that of the display. My return chamber was at steady height using a ato. One day for the he'll of it I checked the salinity 1.030. . Go back to check the barrel 1.024.

How could habe this occurred?

One way is evaporation, if you are not topping off your tank. I assume you have an ATO but maybe is not working? or the salinity measuring instrument is off

Question/things to check:
- Is the ATO set to off when the AWC is on? If not, this error would likely lower your salinity over time.
- What triggers the AWC to turn off? Having the AWC top up more salt water than the desired return chamber water level will increase the tank's salinity over time.

Have you tried recalibrating your DOS. I also heard they sometimes get air leaks that could potentially throw your aws off

Question/things to check:
- Is the ATO set to off when the AWC is on? If not, this error would likely lower your salinity over time.
- What triggers the AWC to turn off? Having the AWC top up more salt water than the desired return chamber water level will increase the tank's salinity over time.
I do 1g. Over 24 hours so it never really touches my sump level because it gets replaced.

So everything was going too good, should have known something was going to happen .

I started a AWC (auto water change) using Neptune's dos pump. My barrel mix was 1.024-matching that of the display. My return chamber was at steady height using a ato. One day for the he'll of it I checked the salinity 1.030. . Go back to check the barrel 1.024.

How could habe this occurred?
Do you use the original hose connectors on the dose?
Next time it runs, shine a flashlight behind the hose. You might find air bubbles running in the line.
It's a known problem with dos. Best bet is to do the john guest upgrade fittings. The original threaded couplings leak and suck air. You can try putting thread tape on them but that might not work. The Threads are a Bad cast.
While your at it, take off the cover and check the hose that runs around the barrel for cuts. There is sometimes a sharp edge on the cover on the outside where the hose runs. The wheel pushes on the hose against the sharp edge and cuts it. I used a flat edge screwdriver and deburred it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-181200_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-181200_Gallery.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220420_181340.jpg
    20220420_181340.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 52
I do 1g. Over 24 hours so it never really touches my sump level because it gets replaced.
Is your ATO active and working? Seems like your new saltwater might be taking over that role and adding salt instead of fresh

Back