Salt Mix Clarity

sledge75

Non-member
After adding salt mix (Oceanic) to a new tank I noticed that the water is no longer crystal clear as it was before the mix. I did also turn off all pumps and let it sit for an hour. The water is still a bit milky and not crystal clear. Is this normal or is something wrong? The tanks I've seen seem to be much clearer as I remember.

Turn on all the pumps and let it mix. Also, your glass just might be dirty with salt buildup and you need to scrape this off too.

Definatly run the pumps it should clear in a day or less. I had the same thing happen when I filled my tank. I use oceanic too. When mixing salt for my water change I always have a powerhead going in my 5gal bucket overnight and use a heater to match the water temp. It always is crystal clear when I dump the water in.

Or could this be calcium presipitation (which I know nothing about but read may happen with oceanic salt and hits high calcium content).

I also have noticed oceanic makes the water cloudy. I add it to the tank anyways after mixing and within an hour or two, it is clear again. Fish all look ok so I don't think it is harmful.

Well its been mixing in the tank with all pumps on for over 24 hours and it still looks cloudy. Should I maybe be using another salt mix. It seemed a lot of people really liked the Oceanic. I'm not worried about anything wrong with the water its just aesthetics.

Perhaps I'lll try running Carbon and a micron filter for a while after the holiday madness. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas. :)

Just out of curiousity, do you have the tank up to temp yet? I have had similar results if the water temp is too cold. We like to bring the water up to al least 75 before adding salt for proper mixing...

Mike

When I added the first couple cups the temp was about 73. I stopped and waited for the rest until 80... and still have more to add (at 1.023 now). Should it clear up on its own now that temp is up, I wonder? If not by the morning I'm going to try running the carbon and micron and see if that clears it up a bit.

i agree, this sounds more like a sand storm than a salt storm, just from the description.

I mix my salt with a power head, air stone, and heater, and it is never cloudy by the time it hits the tan (and I mix for 12 hours tops while at work, add when home). When I first add salt, depending upon water temp, salt type, amount of salt added it sometimes takes on a cloudy appearance. After 24 hours I would doubt salt would still be floating in your water column.

I also make sure that I warm my water in the trash can first, then add the salt and then let it mix with air for a few hours before I add it . It is usually crystal clear by the time I add it and I add to my sump and not the tank. Just my routine .

Back