Salt Mix questions

tucc185

Non-member
In the last few weeks, work and other things have unfortunately left my tank extremely neglected, and my corals are beginning to show it. so a few days ago I decided to do a water change, but all I could get my hands on was red sea salt mix. I've used it before, but not for a while. the last couple of water changes had been with tropic marin. After I did the water change, about 10 gal on a 46 gal tank, My elkhorn monti just fell apart. Big gobs of tissue just melted right off it (the next day), and my green cap is bleaching. What are some thoughts on red sea salt mix? any idea of why this might happen? I'm going ot buy a bucket of salt mix tonight so I'm not constantly switching between whatever I can find. Should I stay with tropic marin? Would it matter that much? Thanks for any help,

Mike

How did you do the mix? The best method is to add the salt mix to water and not the water to salt. I always run a power head in the bucket of mix for 24 hours before adding to the tank. Some of the stuff takes a while to dissolve.

I've heard salt mix in general can be really corosive for a couple hours after mixed. Give it some time.

If you've switched salt, it's possible you've thrown your parameters out of whack. I've tried switching from Oceanic to IO a couple times, and it threw my KH and CA out of whack not to mention bleaching the coraline, and that was only on a 15% WC with only 30% new salt and 70% old salt. Granted, my tank is only 20 gallons, but it took a couple weeks to get everything back into check.

Steve

Back