Scary Bristle Worms!!

networkfishman

Non-member
I don't know if it's me being a wussy but I've been finding some really scarily BIG bristle worms on my "new to me" LR. I've got the LR in a rubbermade container with a powerhead & heater to cure it / clean it and I've been cleaning some then returning it. While looking thru it, I've been finding some that are a minimum on 6in long and at least 1/2 in wide!! :eek: Wooow! I NEVER thought that they could get that big! They are actually freaking me out! :( I wish I had gotten a picture of the last one I pulled out but he had such a hold on the rock that he got ripped apart pretty good before I got him. :(

Now, I know bristles are supposed to be "ok" for our reefs but can ones this big really be reef-safe? I don't think that there are any fish that will eat them. I don't sweat the small ones that I really can't see but I won't be able to sleep if these big ones are in there. Yikies!! :eek:

-bri

The last picture is the only ones that look like a bristle.

The first few are pics of it out of the water, so you can't see the "bristles"

yea, that's why I don't think it's the same as the last pic. When I pull these guys out their bristles are still spiky and looks like the last pic but mine is out of the water. Next time I grab one, I'll take a pic.

PS-> I don't think I'll every be able to take a sitdown again. I've been flushing them down my toilet since I started finding them. Hope these things can't live in fresh water!! If they can... PLEASE don't tell me so!!!

-bri

Last edited:
If they get too BIG they can start killing stuff in the tank. So I would try to get it out of your rocks since their not in your display yet.
Also If you rip it apart they will still live and actually split in half lol..
I never got stung by any but i touched one by accident which was the size your your pinky before. nasty things lol

Yea, that's what I thought. So I'm removing any I find before the rock goes in the DT.

I can't image those spiky little suckers would feel good at all! :(

-bri

PS-> I don't think I'll every be able to take a sitdown again. I've been flushing them down my toilet since I started finding them. Hope these things can't live in fresh water!! If they can... PLEASE don't tell me so!!!

-bri

I'v heard they like to hide right under the rim of the toilet and attack any "pray" that might sit down. I hope this puts your mind at ease.:)

I have. Freakin' hurts. Not as bad as a bee sting, just more area when you get hit with a whole 2 inch section. :mad:

Ouch! that sucks... I'm allergic to bee's
last time I got stung my hand tripled in size couldn't even move my fingers.

Back