Setting up 180 ?

cobra1858

Non-member
I am going to buy a 180 Gal. AGA RR tank. Does anyone know how much water flow the mega flows can handle? The web site says 600 Gal x 2. Will this tank handle more than 1200 gal hr? I am going to put an ocean Motion on it. Any recommendations on size and brand of pump?

Just got this from All glass web site. or go here for more reading

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

The MegaFlow? Overflow System by All-Glass Aquarium is engineered to allow maximum water flow to the main filter system, while greatly reducing the cascading water sound. The MegaFlow? Overflow System design draws water from the surface, mid-range, and bottom levels of your aquarium. This provides more effective circulation and filtration, which in turn helps eliminate dead water zones in your aquarium. The MegaFlow? allows more water flow than the previous All-Glass overflow design and significantly outperforms the competitors tube design. The new design can handle an actual maximum flow through rate of 600 G.P.H. per overflow. The MegaFlow? Overflow is securely bonded and sealed to the back wall of the aquarium with silicone. The overflow construction makes it rugged and durable and allows the user to stack rock or other decorating materials right up against it?no unprotected flimsy clear plastic tubes to worry about. This new back wall mounted design also keeps unsightly plumbing from being seen. Aquariums up to 110 gallons are fitted with one MegaFlow? Overflow and are rated for a maximum flow through of 600 G.P.H. (Using a rated 2,400 G.P.H. pump at a 5 foot head).

You can always open you the slits where the water goes throught. I've done that with my reg AGA over flow and added one inch drain. That seems to increase the amount of wather being drain into the sump.

The Megaflow overflows have a 1" drain and a 3/4" return... if you need more flow to the sump, you can always use both holes as drains, and put a return over the top.

Btw, I'm setting up a 75g AGA with a megaflow, and an oceansmotions 4-way, and have drilled the back of the tank for a closed loop, I'm not using the overflow for that... that's something you may also want to consider doing.

Nuno

Jeff, here's my plumbing diagram, for the closed-loop and the sump/refugium... keep in mind that I'm really a beginner, it's the first time I'm doing this... although I've asked for comments and a few people have said it's good or made a few suggestions (that are already incorporated in this diagram), there may still be mistakes or there may be better ways to achieve the same thing.

Anyway, here it is:

reef-75g-plumbing-diagram-20040916.gif

The overflow will have an AGA Megaflow kit inside it, which is basically a Durso pipe for the drain and some loc-line for the return.

I've decided to go with a Mag 9 for the sump return (950pgh; but will have around 4 feet of head, which should make it closer to 600gph to match the overflow) and a PanWorld 50PXX-MD30X (1110gph) for the closed-loop. Can always throttle them back a bit with the ball valves if it proves to be too much flow.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments about the diagram.

Nuno

Thanks Nuno Nice setup. I run a Mag 9 pump on my 75. I like it but it raised my temp about 2 deg over the rio 2100 I had. Do you know how the PanWorld is for heat?

I'm also a bit concerned about the heat issue with the Mag, being a submerged pump, we'll see how it goes... the PanWorld is external, and from what I read it's supposed to run relatively cool and quietly too... I expect it'll take me a week or two to have everything up and running, but I'll report on the pumps as soon as it's running.

Nuno

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back