Sick Harlequin Tusk

afcc.771

Non-member
I have a Harlequin Tush fish that about a week an a half ago just isolated himself in the back of the tank. He has stopped eating and just sits upside down all day and night, but he is still breathing. Just today when i thought he was finally dead he is flying around the tank like crazy! He's trying to jump out of the tank and just goes haywire. He look like he's been through the wringer. Almost half of his fins and spikes on his back are gone and sometime the other fish are picking at them. He has bubbles on the INSIDE of one of his eyes and has scratches all over his body. I thought it would be good to feed him so he can at least not die of starvation but he just let the food pass by him as if it wasn't there. After going crazy for about 15 minutes he just goes somewhere and floats upside down for a while, then repeats the process. Any idea what he's doing? I don't know if he is on his way out and it's his last bit of life, or he is actually getting better. Leading up to this we have nitrates at about 180 in our tank but all the other fish seem to be doing fine. It is a 140g with multiple triggers, a clownfish, and a foxface. Now we cleaned up the tank but it seems to be of no avail. Any ideas what's going on would be a great help.
Thanks.

btw none of my other fish are eating either...are they saving room for him?
I have pictures if they would help.

Pics would help but does not sound good. How long have you had him. Sounds like a possible parisite. Upside down fish are never good.

Pics would help but does not sound good. How long have you had him. Sounds like a possible parisite. Upside down fish are never good.

I've had him/her for about a year and the files are to big to attach, but i can email them.This is my first tank and i don't know how to identify a parasite, what should i look for?

Might be fluke. It sometimes appeares in eyes looking like little lines or bubbles as you described. It can also be on the body looking like little while things. They are parisites. It looks like ich only with a magnifying glass you can see the things moving. The fish also will scratch at things like rocks trying to get the flukes off. Others on here might know more about it. It can be treated. Here is a link. Or two

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/flukes.php

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/Q&A/eye_disorders.html

Back