Skimmate color

testhead1313

Here's lookin' at you
I just have a quick question about the color of your skimmate. Most pics of people's skimmer show a dark brown skimmate, but mine is a deep green. Any ideas on what might cause this or does anyone else have green skimmate? I am using an AquaC Remora on a 20 gallon with a moderate bioload and TONS of scavangers (pods, mysids, bristleworms (not TONS, but they're there)). All parameters are within line. I'm not deeply concerned over this, just curious. Thanks
Chris

Throw a pinch of Kalk powder in the cup after you empty it. It will kill the smell of the skimate. I will make the skimate look very light brown. If the cup overflows, there is no problem from the kalk.

So it's probably just normal then... That's good to know. PenMan, thanks for the advice about the kalk. I empty it often enough, the smell does not become a problem, but this is good to know for the future.

A wetter Skimmate will be lighter and a little more tea green color and a drier Skimmate will be a darker more coffee color.

denvig said:
A wetter Skimmate will be lighter and a little more tea green color and a drier Skimmate will be a darker more coffee color.

My experience also :)

That's probably what it is because I have the collection cup set very low (wettest). Thanks again!

Back