Skimmer/Sump/Plumbing issue - Suggestions PLEASE!

cakemanPA

Non-member
I have been fighting with trying to hook up a rather large beckett type skimmer that is powered by a blueline 55 pump. I am using a AGA megaflow 4 sump as a refugium. The filtration return is being pumped with a turbo-sea 1740p pump. I am returning the water from the skimmer into the far end of the sump. I have several layers of foam to try to stop the micro bubbles. All this does is cut down the flow from the fuge to the return area and more bubbles. I am baffled or not as the case may be. I will try to post pics later. Anyone else having issues with microbubbles from their skimmer?

I read about microbubbles on a thread here. And I am not sure that they pertain to my set up. I may be revisiting my setup. The way things are running now is not working at all. I get no bubbles at all without the skimmer but that is not an option either.

So your setup looks something like this

Return<--Fuge<---Skimmer

And you have filter pads between the skimmer and fuge sections?

Does the sump have any other baffles. I'm having a hard time imagining your setup.

OR are you saying
Return<--Fuge<---Skimmer
but the skimmer exit pipe goes directly into the return section bypassing the fuge?

That sounds like a whole lot of water moving through that size sump. This might be tough?

Got any pics of the sump set up?

==>2 1" inlets from pump (sealed area in this megaflow 4 )==>filter pad==>fuge==>2" poret foam==>1" outlets to pumps Foam on each of the outlets to pumps

Water from skimmer now goes back to filter area

I am trying to get pics. I am thinking that I am running way more water through a fuge than is recommended.

Last edited:
I'm still confused. Post the pics and I'll try to help with configuration. But I think the real problem is your pulling 1500+ gph though a 41gal sump. That is 36 times volume. What is your display volume?

I'm still confused. Post the pics and I'll try to help with configuration. But I think the real problem is your pulling 1500+ gph though a 41gal sump. That is 36 times volume. What is your display volume?
I am thinking that the amount of flow through the sump is a big part of the issue as well. I have fixed the microbubble issue for the moment.

Back