Slimmer help pls

shanet1975

Non-member
Morning. I have a new 75 gallon setup with a amiracle sump. I don't have much room for a slimmer and am trying to to spend an arm and a leg as I really can't. Lol. I have seen setups where the skimmer is outside the sump with just a pump inside to feed it. Is there a name for this kind of skimmer?
Thanks

they are called external skimmers, opposed to an in sump skimmer. But they cost a bit more than internal skimmers.

They also have space saving skimmer where the pump is setup in the skimmer body to save space.

most of the external and space savers are pretty expensive. Unless it is an older style skimmer like an AquaC EV series or Beckett skimmer
so a new sump might be cheaper. You might look into a HOB skimmer like the octopus LX1000. depending on sump setup you can
run them on the side of the sump

one more thing is with some skimmers you can re locate the pump to make them work in tight spaces. But with no specs on you particular
sump setup it is hard to give any concrete advice.

Last edited:
HOB? Hang on back. When it comes to equipment, I really don't know what I'm talking about, LOL you may want to change your title to read skimmer, I thought you wanted advice on coral.

Skimmer

HOB? Hang on back. When it comes to equipment, I really don't know what I'm talking about, LOL you may want to change your title to read skimmer, I thought you wanted advice on coral.
O have an aqua c remora pro for sale. Hobstyle skimmer with mag 3 pump for sale. If you are interested

Thanks for the input... One other thing is the way I have it setup is the water level is only constant in the middle chamber where I have sand and rock. It is my understanding that wherever the skimmer is the water level needs to be constant. This is y I was thinking an external skimmer it wouldn't matter as long as the feed pump is submerged..

Back