Small "bugs" In My Tank...please Help!!!

dalejr8chvy86

Non-member
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MY NEWLY SET UP TANK. I HAVE NOTICED SOME SMALL WHITE BUGS IN THE TANK..THEY ARE IN THE LIVE SAND ON THE BOTTOM...I HAVE NOT SEEN THEM ANYWHERE ELSE. BUT THEY SEEM TO BE ALL OVER THE PLACE. ARE THEY OK TO HAVE IN THERE??? AND HOW DID I GET THEM??? I HAVE ALSO NOTICED SOME SMALL WHITE "PINWHEEL" LOOKING THINGS ALL OVER THE GLASS. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE EITHER. I JUST FINISHED TREATING THE TANK FOR ICH. I USED KICK-ICH...DURING THE TREATMENT I LOST ALL MY FISH!!! THE ONLY THINGS I HAVE LEFT ARE CORALS, MUSHROOMS, ANEOMES AND INVERTS.

ANY ANSWERS YOU CAN GIVE WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!! THANKS FOR READING.:confused::confused::confused:

Small White critters all over the sand are most likely pods (good). The pinwheels are prob snail eggs - any pics?

They're probably pods,harmless and very benificial.
They're probably showing up more as the fish aren't preying on them.
Chill out.......no worries.

theyre most likely pods. which are really good. if u dont like them though you could get something that eats them such as a sixline wrasse.

It would be advisable to leave your tank fish free for a couple of months after the ich outbreak. Maybe even run a UV sterilizer in the mean time if you have one or can borrow one.

A Six-Line wrasse is a fish that should be added last if you become interested in one.

The bugs are amhipods and copepods (do an image search on them to verify). Very important in reef tanks, eat algae and detritus and serve as free fish food. The "pinwheels" are most likely the hydromedusae Staurocladia oahuensis. Its a medusa stage of a jellyfish. Very common in new setups, but disappear soon and will not become a jellyfish in your tank.

is it a good idea to keep the tank fish free after the ich, and for how long? and if i do keep it fish free, will the pods over run the tank?

The pods won't overrun the tank. It's a good thing if you have lots of them. You can never have enough pods. I'm assuming we're all correct on guessing that they're pods.
Take it slow with this hobby. The slower you go, the less problem you're encounter. I would wait on the fish.

its only a matter of time until the pods take over. Their always plotting and scheming within their caves.. take a flashlight and watch them at night, there always up to no good

Dale, try a search on Google for copepods and amphipods.
We regularly see both in our tanks. They're great critters to have in your tank - it means you have a healthy environment.
They are great fish food. When you get some fish in there, you won't see the pods. The fish will make sure the pods stay hidden.

Here's a link to a pic over on Reefs.org:
http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/bugs/photoalbum_photo_view?b_start=6
Two critters pictured there; amphipods (big) and copepods (look like fleas).

If those aren't the bugs you're seeing, let us know. :)

behrmon has a good point about the sixline though. theyre very dominant if you add them first. if you want a nice fish that will eat them id grab a scooter blenny. thats pretty much all they do is eat pods lol

is it a good idea to keep the tank fish free after the ich, and for how long? and if i do keep it fish free, will the pods over run the tank?

The life cycle of ich is about 6 weeks. If you want an ich-free tank, it should lie fallow (fish free) for 8 weeks.

Nick gave you the best advice for this hobby.....go slow, be patient.

Second on what Jay said, and third on what Nick said.

Definately don't worry about pods, normal and a sign that things are going well in the tank.

I agree that 6 lines can be aggressive, but IME it's usually that they grow to a certain size than become jerks. Cool fish, but sometimes they need to be banished.

Back