Snowflake Eel with tank mates

animal877

Non-member
hi, im currently running a 55 gallon tank. i have a (abt 12-16 inch) snowflake eel. hes probably my favorite thing in my fish tank. i also have a clown fish, a bangii, and two domino. as well as some turbo snales a sand sifter star and a pink sea urchin. in my old tank i had a peppermint shrimp but he died after a while of owning him (not sure why). id like to get another one or another shrimp of a different type cuz they look cool and there helpful to my tank, however i don't know what i can put with my eel. iv herd that they will often times allow for a shrimp to stay in the tank because of the benefits the shrimp gives to the eel but i have also herd they will just eat them. so please help me out if you know of eny type of cleaner shrimp i could put with my eel please let me know or let me know if its not safe to put eny shrimp with the eel. thanks for the help and sry that was a long post but you know where i stand now. :confused:

ime, i have kept a couple snowflakes in my first reef which was softie... mine didnt bother any shrimp, peppermints included... however, i did miss a feeding once and i believe one of them took out a damsel in its sleep... and they will definately eat crabs without question, as these are a part of their diet in nature... GL

along with jarrod's post, i think its safe to say that most shrimp will be hit or miss... a hungry eel can take down a pretty hefty meal regardless and will attempt to eat most anything if they are hungry or underfed... feed him often, and you should have better luck... as with most things in this hobby, these animals are all individuals, and results will in fact vary from creature to creature... its always a gamble with eels...

that's very helpful u guies ty vm. i try to feed him whenever he comes out during the day, thats my indicator that hes hungry, but those long claws are fairly cheep there only like 10 bucks at petco (main place of buissness) so i wont b to out if i try that and he becomes food. also one more question, currently im feeding him frozen krill but id kinda like to find something a little different. eny sigestions to what i can feed it? i had some anemones in my ld 29g tank that i fed stuf from the deli at market basket like shrimp and squid. is that good for the eel to?

imo, i would feed him freeze dried krill, or anything freeze dried for that matter... much less polluting to your system imo... and krill are nutritious for them... and occasional scallop or something would be cool too...

I always soaked my krill in with my fish goo that i feed my tank. I figured it would possibly suck up some extra vitamins. Might be worth trying....

Although there will be difering views on this, i fed mine heavy 2 days, less for 4 days, and then a day of fasting. When i fed the same every day mine would lose interest in "hunting" and would become lazy.

+1 on every fish is diferent.

Back