SPS Skeletons, Dead or Alive?

Gina McReeferson

My sweet Baby David
I have been trying to mount a big digi we purchased, and kept having trouble getting it to stick to the rockwork. Then I tried something different, I drilled a hole in the small rock it was encusted to. I then made up some putty, rolled a point onto it and stuffed it into the hole. I never had problems getting the putty to stick to the rockwork because it's so porous and craggy, it was only the frags and frag disks that pesented a problem. So I figured putting a hole in the frag might give the putty something to grab. Bingo! It worked!

This has made me think of other places hole drilling might help in coral placement. I was thinking of mounting acro frags by drilling a small hole in the center of their mounting point and inserting small acrylic or ceramic rods into their skeletons, I could then find or drill a suitable hole in my rockwork and insert the pin, done! I think this should be safe, provided they are of decent diameter and care is taken during drilling. Again, the frags would obviously have to be of decent diameter or I would end up drilling into the the back end of the polyps thereby probably killing my babies. I am thinking, if a frag is thick enough, no harm should come from drilling into a solid portion of their skeletons, what do you think?

Sounds interesting, but you'd have to handle the frag a little roughly to hold it while getting drilled. Obviously, a deeper hole could be risky if not plumb. I'd say try it with a tester, or testers with various diameters.
What would you use for a pin? Maybe a sliver of acrylic?

You can pick up stainless steel welding rods at a welding supply store. It's the same size and type used in MJ powerheads. Real cheap too, I still have 6 pieces, 36" long each from making mods. I also used some of it months ago when I redid my rockwork....no signs of rust yet. It's around 1/16" thick.

bob

no signs of rust yet
-yet. I just can't trust SS. I've even had surgical(err.. "found" in a operating room) SS instruments rust.
You know what would work excellent, wicked thin carbon rod. You can pirate them from a few different kites at walmart.

Last edited:
I am looking at a few different things, I think I will go with acrylic...

Titanium rod, 1/16" Dia. 3' length = $11

Acrylic rod, 1/8" Dia. 6' length = $0.29

Or maybe I will get a piece of each, That smaller diameter could be pretty atractive in most circumstances, plus a smaller hole is easier/quicker to drill and less invasive. I don't think handling will be an issue, excessive force won't be necessary. I might even keep the frag submerged during drilling to prevent heat builup.

-Dave

Acrylic rod is the tried and true method. Coraline algae will also grow on it.

Back