Stocking 72 gallon bowfront

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
So here is my list of wants. I am pretty sure my wants exceeds my able to. I am looking for thoughts, any possible issues to look out for, and suggestions.

Wants-
Flame angel (corals with caution)
Flame hawkfish
Tomini tang
2 clowns
One spot fox faced rabbit fish
Couple gobies (orange spot and one other)
McCosker Flasher Wrasse

Maybe PJ Cardinals.

Thoughts?

Everything on the list is minimum of 70 gallons or less according to live aquaria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would drop the foxface. They get fair sized, plus with the tang and angel it will make competition for algae grazing.

You could probably do another flasher wrasse to encourage the flashing. Either a female mccosker or a different male.

I think your planned list would work minus the foxface. For the second goby get one that is not a shrimp goby - they can be territorial. There are a lot of personable little goby options.

My only regret in the fish I have bought was my PJ Cardinal. They are just plain old boring first. It just floats around and eats when I feed them. The tangs, wrasse, clowns and whatnot all have a nice curiosity about them and more fluid motion. I just consider it taking up space.

Watching hawkfish raises my blood pressure. They always look terrified to me -- with the buggy eyes and sudden darting. Their anxiety seems to transfer to me just a bit when I watch them :)

On the other hand, a small group of Banggai Cardinalfish, always placid, I find relaxing. But they only have that affect on me when they are in a group. A single fish not moving just looks lost.

I love the look and swimming of the fox-faced rabbit fish... Is there something I can do to reduce possible aggression on the algae grazers? Like offering the sheets of algae for supplements?

Is there something I can do to reduce possible aggression on the algae grazers? Like offering the sheets of algae for supplements?

Yes, that usually helps. You would probably have to supplement anyways but with all three you'll need to add it every day. Add the tang last so he doesn't have the chance to claim territory before other additions.

I have a one spot fox face and they get big, mine is at least 8" so I would not suggest it for a 72 either no matter what Live Aquaria recommends. They are cute when little but they do not stay small unfortunately and would overpower the look of a 72 gallon reef tank.

I see your signature says you are in leominster, so am I, if you want to come over and see how they look full grown plus I have a couple dwarf angels including a flame a tomini and some gobies if you want to see some variation in a reef tank let me know, I am always up for talking reef tanks

I have a 75g with way more fish in it than that so I see no problem. Just be very careful with how you introduce them. FWIW big fish look stupid in our size tank, it really throws off the balance.

I had a 75 with a fox face, he outgrew it so I upgraded to a 180.
You'll get a few years out of a 72 but keep in mind it can't be a permanent tank for a fox face.

Thanks for the advice. I may try it as a baby. The one spot is only suppose to get 7" max compared to the regular fox which is 9". I havnt set anything in stone but since I also breed rabbits for meat and show I figured a rabbit fish would be thematic for me!

Back