Storing water before use

Kens Bees

BRS Member
Looking for some guidance on water storage versus usage, which leads into a salt discussion.

I use two 60 gallon containers for my water, one for RO and the other for mixed salt.
The RO is just used for ATO. It would be a guess at best but I know it lasts at least 6 weeks before I refill.
The fresh salt is used in a continuous water change for a 60 and 40 gallon tank. That fresh salt water will last about two weeks.

So, is 6 weeks too long for RO storage? Is there a "use by" suggestion to shoot for?

I think I'm okay with two weeks for fresh salt, but don't know for sure. I DO know that Reef Crystals leaves a mess, and if you happen to disturb the bottom during or just before a WC it hoses the tank for a while. With that in mind, is there a cleaner mixing salt that stores well for two weeks or so? Reef Crystals is cheap, and hasn't given me any issues, but I haven't broken anything in a while so thought I'd seek advice.

Last edited:
RO will store forever as long as it has a good seal to it! I’ve stored RO for a few months no issue. Also use Tropic marin pro reef for salt, find it mixes and stores well with a powerhead left in it

Cleanest salt I would say is esv and no I don’t use it anymore but I also haven’t used any salt in almost 3 years lol.
For the RO water , if you can I’d add a air pump to it to increase the ph. I believe Jake Adams also so that his ph dropped once he pumped the water into his ato instead of pouring it into his ato to degass

I have my rodi storage bucket on a constant auto fill system with a float value and that container is hooked up to my ato container the fooor above controlled by the apex solenoid and a back up float. No issue storing water

Back