Stressed Acros - How long before you give up?!

DEIGNAN14

BRS Member
So I guess I should know better than to order acros online in February...

But I did, and 2 out of the three colonies arrived in rough shape. Muted color very very strong acro smell. Bags where colder than one would like.

After acclimation and a few hours in my tank one in particular (tenius) is deteriorating big time. I hit it with a Turkey baster to take care of what I thought was just slime - and color just started to slough off.

The second coral in question is not too far behind this one. I do see some PE tho. Any tips on when youve made the decision to pull the plug so to speak?

Thanks!
Thanks!

Well,if they're just frags they wont do much to your water quality even if the do rtn completely.
I'd just let then sit until they look like skeletons.Then call them paper weights.

they are small colonies. Ive seen some corals come back from the dead but I dont want to risk pissing off the rest of my tank!

i have a colony of digi and the poly was gone and the body bleaching,was ready to toss it but the wife say give it a few days and sure enough it came back.give it time

Personally I would leave it in the tank and see what happens. Run some extra carbon just to be safe though. I have had colonies that I thought were gone come back to life when I've left them alone.

FWIW, I've had five orders come in between January and February without any issues. Just have them hold it at the office for pickup so it's not sitting in the truck all morning.

Hope it turns out well for you.

I did! Got there at 8 to pickup and the vendor did a great job with packaging (perhaps the best Ive seen). The bags were a little cold tho. Either way, the vendor is being really cool about working with me. Got to give Happy Coral an A+ for customer service. Running some carbon and planning an early water change just in case.

If it's RTN, I would usually frag them a half inch or so above the tissue loss and get rid of the rest. The problem with RTN is, it is likely an infection and therefore may be contagious. Some people also use super glue. If you superglue the tissue, above the rtn and it continues to the glue and stops, it is more likely infection. If it continues, it may be water issues. I'm not sure I completely agree with the logic, but it is something to try.

So just and update to share. Both stressed corals are completely toast today. AND a lost one of my older colonies last night so the RTN to prove "contagious" in this case.

sorry to hear that. Acro tend to trigger RTN. There are those horror stories about whole tank melt down on RC.

I dealt with this last month. I had my cali tort RTN out of no where. The my hawkins started and so did my tri-color. I ended up losing 90% of my cali, and a whole frag of the hawkins, but the tri-color is still fighting. There is no pests in the tank (other than some HA that I am dealing with)

Hope it works out for you. Glad the supplier is helping out

I am not sure it is cause by bacteria infection, IRMC, it is caused by signaling.
Let's say, when a bunch of SPS polyps under stress, they release a chemical or biological substance into the water to tell other SPS polyps to bail out. It is a natural way for SPS to survive in the ocean. Those bailed out polyps will have a chance to land on a new area and re-grow in the ocean.

Ive cut away as much dead tissue as I can. And I did a 10% change. Running carbon and watching things closely. I think Ill set up another change for tomorrow.

The one colony that seemed to survive shipment now has some dead spots here and there. I did pull a pest crab that was clearly eating tissue off of it last night. But now Im seeing new spots and no other crabs. Does RTN ever happen in spots?

Thanks for the advice!

Ive cut away as much dead tissue as I can. And I did a 10% change. Running carbon and watching things closely. I think Ill set up another change for tomorrow.

The one colony that seemed to survive shipment now has some dead spots here and there. I did pull a pest crab that was clearly eating tissue off of it last night. But now Im seeing new spots and no other crabs. Does RTN ever happen in spots?

Thanks for the advice!

yes, it does. sorry to hear that

I am not sure it is cause by bacteria infection, IRMC, it is caused by signaling.
Let's say, when a bunch of SPS polyps under stress, they release a chemical or biological substance into the water to tell other SPS polyps to bail out. It is a natural way for SPS to survive in the ocean. Those bailed out polyps will have a chance to land on a new area and re-grow in the ocean.

Necrosis is tissue death, I think your thinking of polyp bailout; this happens in Pocillopora more often, but dosn't result in death of the entire colony. RTN, is a symptom, usually associated with various diseases when similar events occur in nature.

As to the spots, that could also be a sign of predators. Do you have a picture?

If the coral is RTNing. Id suggest cutting the bleached potions off and dipping it in iodine if you have any.
Then keep it in low/medium flow for now and it should survive

Thanks everyone. I decided to play it as safe as possible. I sliced and diced anything that was RTNing. I just hope this doesnt set off a domino effect.

Back