suck or blow? ( fan setup you pervs!)

nitrofish

reefing again!
I want to install a fan into my canopy to aid in cooling. this canopy is open in the back.should I set the fan to suck the air thru the canopy or blow the air across.or maybe one on each end, one blowing the air across and another on the other end sucking the hot air out?

both blowing the air across and allowing to vent out the back will increase your evaporation but should keep you lights cool. what type bulbs?
have you put a fan in the sump?

I have one on each end, I tried both ways my tank runs cooler with both blowing in by about 2 degrees. My canopy has a open back and wood grill top.

Jim

I have a clip on for now, blowing in. I took the back 1/2 of my canopy off for ventilation. I also have an A/C that is about 18' in front of the tank. Then I have a strong window fan that is in the room behind the tank - about 12' away. So far, so good this summer.

Keep in mind that if you are blowing air in, you will have fresh air drawn across your fan(s). Also note you may blow a bug or two into the tank.
If you are pulling air out, salt air will be pulled across your fan(s) & may cause it to corrode.

Definitely blowing in across the water with vents for the warm air to flow out of. Evaporation is key for cooling and that will do it. I had an enclosed canopy over my 38G with a 250W MH and 2-96W PC's with 2-4" Icecap fans blowing in (and no lid). No chiller was needed.

I have glass lids so the air wont reach the water, and my fixture has a single fan also but its totaly enclosed in plexiglass. (x3 250 w metal halides and x2 96 w power compacts) I guess ill get 2 fans and see what happens

those fans won't help much with the glass lid there. you would have to remove it for that air under the glass lid to circulate.

TheUltimateNoob said:
those fans won't help much with the glass lid there. you would have to remove it for that air under the glass lid to circulate.

damn, maybe in the sump would be better then?

If you blow your fans between the glass and your lights, heat won't build up as much on the glass and you won't get so much of a greenhouse effect. I did that for a while and my temp was much more stable. Recently I built a canopy and it has replaced the need for the glass cover. It does help to blow the air over the glass to keep the heat from building up.

I was recently looking at the fan setup in my light fixture and it only has a single fan sucking air out of one end, I think I can add a second fan to the oppsite side and blow air into the fixture as well. I just want to drop 2 degrees

Back