sump alternatives (need input pls)

SharkLover

T5 LPS
which color variation would you guys think is best.
I can get dimensions later, maybe we can add to this some specific skimmer recommendations etc.
I think the dimension are 36x12x18.5. Will confirm later. Looks like an amiracle wet/dry sump turned sump/fuge

whatsbest.jpg

Last edited:
I am doing the first out of necessity (and laziness). The benefit of the third is that it would need its own drain into it, thus you can control it. You want less flow in there. The middle one would give you more room for the skimmer.

Any plans on other devices in the drain or return? If something goes in there that needs deep water, keep in mind how much reverse drain is in play. Preferable to keep that skinny end deep if necessary.

Any plans on other devices in the drain or return? If something goes in there that needs deep water, keep in mind how much reverse drain is in play. Preferable to keep that skinny end deep if necessary.

I dont understand.
But to answer your questions yes,
I'll most likely throw a couple maxijets in there. maybe the drain area. Eventually i'll need 1 maxi to feed a trip decker uv/rfo/gfo ....
and 1 maxi to feed a skimmer if i go with external
and maybe 1 maxi to feed calc reactor... i honestly don't know how calc and kalk are setup.

I don't see how the fuge would have any flow/turnover in any but the first one, am I missing something? The first one works for me, as ideally the skimmer should be before the fuge to avoid skimming out pods/beneficial organisms that would breed in it. As long as you have some sort of reliable auto top off, the small section could be used for the return, but otherwise the water level would fluctuate an awful lot. You may want to rearrange the baffles or at least add one at the bottom left of the middle section to contain a dsb.

I just looked again, I was thinking the drain and return were opposite of what your first pic shows, so I was referring to the sump as return, fuge, drain, left to right, again, with a good ato, I think this is worth considering. Otherwise, the baffles could use some rearranging to run the way you have it in the first pic, mainly the two on the left should be opposite of the way they are so the second one would go all the way down to contain the dsb. Am I making any sense?............................

I don't see how the fuge would have any flow/turnover in any but the first one, am I missing something? The first one works for me, as ideally the skimmer should be before the fuge to avoid skimming out pods/beneficial organisms that would breed in it. As long as you have some sort of reliable auto top off, the small section could be used for the return, but otherwise the water level would fluctuate an awful lot. You may want to rearrange the baffles or at least add one at the bottom left of the middle section to contain a dsb.

You are missing a split tee from drain to fuge.

I would aim for a small flow to go over the fuge and if i used an external skimmer i'd pull from the drain so it would be ok as long as the drain is on the small compartment (far left) and the fuge on the far right with return in the middle

Skimmer in your 1st compartment- you want to skim the raw drain H2O. Fuge in the middle and return on the end pumping the cleanest, bubble-free water.

Back