Sump plumbing: bulkheads, hard plumbed or vinyl tubing. Pump inlet question too.

JoelA

Returning Reefer
Hi everyone. Goal is as little excess heat into tank as possible so planning all external pumps except skimmer in sump. Bulkhead fittings x2 for circulation pump and another for pumps for reactor canisters.

1. Flexible tubing between bulkhead and ball valve?
2. Any real benefit to using true unions? Besides the obvious of bring able to just unscrew to disconnect.
3. My planned circ pump is a waveline 6000 that has a 1.25 inlet. Is there a problem with using 1" bulkhead & ball valve etc then a 1<1.25 at pump?
4. Best source for all the weird adapters and connectors I will need?

Thanks!!!

1: flex tubing is fine from bulkhead to the ball valve and helps reduce vibration. I'm assuming you have the ball valve on the pump. I like at least a portion of tubing after the pump as well.

2: Yes true union is the way to go. At the very least single union ball valve so you can remove the pump without draining your sump and the return line

3: no, you cannot do this. Never restrict the inlet, it will cause the pump to cavitate. Put in a 1.5" or 2" bulkhead and reduce it to 1.25 at the pump itself. I would have the ball valve 1.5" as well.

4:mcmaster Carr

Back