super reef octopus lx 2000s hob

lisa foster

Non-member
I received my new skimmer yesterday .The pump is extremely loud this thing is a beast. I was told putting an air intake valve between the air intake tube and the skimmer quiet it. I was told all the noise is from too much air getting to your pump.

I have one on my HOB skimmer its a little air control valve on the end of the air intake line if i take it of it's really load i just adjust it down till its not silent but not really load and the thing works great for me!

Do you have a air intake silencer...... Thoes damper the sound of the air entering the pump but air flow is not restricted.

Does this particular HOB skimmer have a internal/external pump. In my experience the HOB skimmers with the external pumps tend to be louder...... But I hear nothing but good things about the octopus HOB.

This has the bubble blaster external pump these skimmers just came out. The ppump is so loud you can't hear the tv. the silencer is on. my whole tank a 125 gallon is vibrating including the floor near the tank and my computer
I can't get any advice online because the skimmer is so new.

Wow.... That's crazy!

What did AquaCave say about it...... I know you mentioned that it had poor instructions. I am doubtful that they would release a skimmer that is that loud...... I wonder if there is something wrong with it. Is it performing properly?

yes performing fine for a new skimmer. I had seen a few things online that this pump could be loud because of the size. Enrico was on the phone with me tweaking the skimmer ha had suggested to and an air intake valve that it sounded like to much air was getting to the pump. Once that is fixed it will be a great skimmer I have always used octopus and had good luck. I would say alot of the noise comes from the pumps vibrations my whole computer is buzzing

I'd be looking to see if the pump or skimmer body is bumping up against something and causing the normal vibration to be really loud.

it is not up against anything. there is a claer fitting where you can see the water going into the pump and the water is filled with bubbles. I have adjusted the flow going into the sump it does not make a difference.One good thing is the output from the skimmer comes out in front of one of my pumps and the flow has icreased unbelieveably of course there are more microbubbles that will hopefully go away when skimmer is broken in more

Usually a new pump will quite down in a week or so but if there is vibration than my guess the pin wheel is out of balance,not trimmed,eccentric...I not familiar with that skimmer but putting a air valve on it seems counterproductive.

If you don't have an airvalve just use a paper clip to pinch the line a bit. Does the noise go away when you close off the air intake completely??? Be careful doing this as it could make the skimmer overflow...
Have you opened up the pump itself to make sure there is nothing loose or off balance???
I have used the bubble blaster pumps in sump and would not say it is a loud pump (Kick A$$ though) but I have no idea what it is supposed to sound like run externally. I would not think Octopus would release a HOB skimmer that would be considered overly loud.
Have you contacted Octopus directly???

I have pinched the line does not work, checked the pump. I had read some reviews from people whi have this and it did say the pump was loud looks like it is coming from not just the vibration but where the water enters the pump.Airbubbles are unbelieveable. I hooked it up wednesday is it normal not to be pulling any skim mate yer?

I have worked out the tweaks. One trick is only fill the water level right above the basket in the back chamber.
2. I had to remove the silencer with it on the skimmer was not foaming.
3. when you remover the silencer the pumps becomes quiet the micrbubbles filling myy tank also disapeared.
4 This thing was doing nothing for a week with these tweaks the bubbles are coming right up started pulling really wet so I raised the collection cup all the way up or it will overflow.
5 Now the foam is coming up without water. I have had alot of octopus skimmers nothing like this if you need to have an hob spend the money on this.

Back