Sybon Refractometer

chew*

Murphy's Law
Anyone know where i can get parts for one? I apparently was leaning on it when i was sticking some screws into my computer desk for my nano, the hinge for the clear plastic broke. I need to replace it. Hate to blow another $80 for a cheap piece of plastic.

Yes it broke on the half through the plastic to the hing pin, No it won't work right if glued, kind of defeats the purpose of having a highly accurate "instrument" anyway.

This kinda sucks, I guess i should be more careful, I just searched for an hour and can't even find the company that makes it, just rave reviews on how accurate it is...............

$80 for a refractometer - does the extra $30 get you anything special? You can get a decent refract for $50 at an LFS all day long, about $30 on eBay...

1% acc with the sybon at a wider range of temps. The "atc's" are really only accurate near target temps. So if i just made Cold RO water and am doing a water change, with the sybon its more accurate and should be it's lab grade.

2 things I refuse to be cheap on in a saltwater tank.

1 is an instrument to test "saltwater"

2 is the skimmer

I guess it's amazing that the rest of us are so cheap and maintain aquariums that thrive...

10-30C is not a wide enough range for you? Do you refrigerate your RO?

FYI I had both an ATC cheap $40 LFS unit and the sybon, I compared them at 78-82 and they were preety darn accurate. I tested them in about 60F and the elcheapo gave me an innacurate reading unless I left it sitting for 5 mins and it reached room temp.

The sybon read true immediately. I have better things to do than wait 5 mins for a unit to reach room temp to be accurate, especially when it's advertised as automatic temperature compensation.

I mix my saltwater in my basement, its colder down there.

Anyway like i stated earlier it is "saltwater". Its not like a salifert test kit, it should last you a lifetime providing you don't break it. Why be cheap on the key ingredient to a reef.

It's really not a matter of being cheap - more a matter of value and efficiency.

I think we should do a poll of BRS members to see what they paid for their refractometer, and if they have been dissatisfied. I think you'll find that the vast majority paid less than $50 and there are some amazing tanks out there.

Incidentally, how much water are you changing where being off by 0.001 or 0.002 really matters that much?

Eric

6 gallons a week in a 65.

more like they are off by .01 to .02

.01 or .02 off......................well I can tell you that if I made a .02 change in my tank it would be very very costly just in frags.........

Last edited:
So let me get this straight - let's stay your tank is at 1.025 - I run mine at 1.027, but for the sake of calculation, 1.025 is a little easier.

So a six gallon water change, or 9.2% - call it 10% once a week.

If you replaced 6 gallons with water that was 1.027, how much effect do you think that would have on your tank? I would argue that it MIGHT raise it to 1.026, if that much. Do you really think that such a change would be harmful? What do you do when you acclimate new livestock, spend a month doing a slow drip?

The chemists here could probably give us a more accurate calculation of the end result.

Eric

changing you salinity can have an impact on alot more than salinity. There is X amount of calcium at X amount of salinity with fresh salt, and also MG, KH etc etc, you cause a swing in salinity you impact other chemistry.

I run 1.026 24/7. I match with every water change to the chemistry of my tank. Consistency can not hurt a bit.

New fish (which i have no plans on adding) usually go into my quarantine tank for a month minimum, which is broken down atm as there will be no newcomers for quite some time.

New corals get acclimated while dipping for 6 hours.......................

Last edited:
I guess I wouldn't define a .001 change in salinity as a "swing," but clearly some would. I think in a lot of tanks, most people try to keep it within a range of .003 or so. It's going to fluctuate no matter how anal one is about it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I guess I'm just amazed at the level of detail with which you manage your tank, and I just question whether all of these items are so critical for a healthy reef. Clearly it can't "hurt" to be particular and maintain consistent chemistry - I certainly wouldn't argue that. But I do question whether it is absolutely essential to be so particular.

Peace...

Back