T5s placement and settings.

SquareFace

Non-member
I am switching from LEDs to T5s. I'm not sure on how far to keep the ATI Sunpower (48" with 4 bulbs) from the water surface and what intensity to keep the light. I have a 80 gls Deep Blue Rimless tank (48" x 24" x 16).
4d68965cf263236785fabf47e8cb77d9.png

How high do you keep your light? What intensity do you use? What is your time settings? What combination of bulbs do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a ati 48 inch 6 bulb t5 fixture over a 75 gallon - 4 foot tank.

1 - Distance - probably as close as reasonable - e.g. 4-6 inches. No reason to put it higher as your prior led fixture probably had more intensity. The higher it is, the more your eyes will see the bulbs and the light will spill over the edges of the tank.
2 - Power - I would run it at full power. I run my 6 bulb fixture at 5 inches at 100%. Ramp up to preference, but I don't see why 100% would be where you would end up.
3 - Bulb configuration - By far the most popular bulb is the blue+, according to BRS. I run 3 blue+, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus, 1 true actinic. For 4 bulbs, I would go with 2 blue +, 1 purple, plus one more of either blue+, coral plus, or aquablue special. The aquablue special is rather white. the coral plus is inbetween the blue plus and the aqualblue special. I would go with the coral plus, but it is subjective.

At the end of the day, I don't think it is terribly critical for coral growth/color as they all seem to work. I have read that going more aquablue special will increase growth, but at the expense of color pop. The blue+ is supposed to be just as good as the aquablue special, according to marketing material. I think as long as the heart of the system is 2 blue+, the rest is fine and subject to taste.

Your tank looks great and high tech and sleek looking light. Why you want to go back to T5.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

ATI recommends 8 inches above water line.
If it's too low, it will get a lot water splashes.

Last edited:
I'm also fairly new with T5's, I've had them for about 2 months now bought them used, (7 months old) I have ATI 36" 6-bulb fixture non programmable I run 3 blue+, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus, 1 aqua blue special and keep it 12" above.

One of my Vega's AC adapter burned out. I didn't get good coloration and growth with LEDs. So, I decided to switch to T5s.

Hey buddy,

Great to hear that you are coming to T5's

I have my 24" ATI 6x24w 8" off the water and love it. no dimming. Ati coral +, ati blue +, ati aquaspecial, ati purple +, E5T5, ati coral +

I believe, you may need a 6 bulb fixture on that tank if you are doing SPS, unless you intend of supplementing some how.

Hey buddy,

Great to hear that you are coming to T5's

I have my 24" ATI 6x24w 8" off the water and love it. no dimming. Ati coral +, ati blue +, ati aquaspecial, ati purple +, E5T5, ati coral +

I believe, you may need a 6 bulb fixture on that tank if you are doing SPS, unless you intend of supplementing some how.

I'm getting a 6 bulbs 36" dimmable Sunpower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back