taking out live rock and tank balance ?

willray

Division Champs
I want to pull the live rock but not sure how much it would effect my tanks bio filtering capabiltiy.Thoughts?

100 gal total system
about 175lbs of rock
mixed reef

Are you going to remove all the live rock or just some of it? I would have to take a wild shot at this and say it would have some effect, as to how much I couldn't say. An answer to that has to be on a search engine somewhere. As reefers we add the rock for primarily the bio filtering process, secondly a place for our corals to grow and third cause we like the natural effects and looks real purdy when coaline, sponge, and mini dusters are growing on it.

Willray,

Be very careful about the amount you pull.

I made the mistake of pulling too much while I was changing my tank over and I had all kinds of problems.

I ended up buying a bunch of Marco rubble from Brendan and stuffing the little pieces into my overflows and sump. FYI, I'm not going to remove those pieces.

In my opinion, you can never have too much live rock in a tank.

HTH,

Gary

the bacteria that lives in the tock and denitrifies leaves when the rock does....so would expect to see a cycle if the rock went.....

Thinking I want to sell my 6 yr old aquacultured live rock so I can buy some marco rock for my new 120.My rock is covered in corals,zoas and such(wish I knew then what I know now about placement) that I really don't want in the new tank or on the rocks.That way only thing going in wiil be what I put in....hopefully!Maybe 25lbs or so a week would give it chance to balance out.

I'd say if you remove it very very slowly, like a piece a week, you could avoid the majority of the problems but all at once could be a recipe for disaster IMO...

Willray I love your user title!!!!! (the little line under your user name)............I'll be sitting by the mailbox and waiting for my naming right fee and or my residuals:D:cool::D

Back