Tank-bred centropyges!

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Okay, the price is ridiculous. :eek: :p
But the fact that there are tank-bred dwarf angles in the trade is encouraging! Maybe in a few years they will become common and the price will sink.

Anyhoo, here's a picture:
p_80385b.jpg

And here's the link w/ price:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2047&cc=1

The depressing part is that tank raised flames were available for a while, but nobody was willing to pay the extra $20 or so that they cost, so the people raising them abandoned the project and moved on to the expensive fish. I really wanted to get a small one since according to Scott Micheal they morph sex from female to male (true for all in the genus Centropyge), and are unlikely to morph back. Any large one in your tank then is likely male, so any small one you add will make a pair. I've been searching local stores for about a year now for a small flame, but you just don't usually see them. The divers probably only target the large ones. Apparently many of the Centropyge are likely to mate in tanks (flames included).

Dang!
Tank-bred flame angels would be awesome!
Was your intent to try to get a group to spawn and rear the fry, Greg?

I'd love to breed them (or maybe even better golden angels!!), the problem with this, and just about every other interesting species of marine fish, is that the first foods need to be smaller than rotifers. VERY hard to do unless you live right next to the ocean, even then plankton around here would probably die fast at 80 F.

Moe_K said:
Okay, the price is ridiculous. :eek: :p
But the fact that there are tank-bred dwarf angles in the trade is encouraging! Maybe in a few years they will become common and the price will sink.

This is probably their source:

http://www.rcthawaii.com/purchasefish.htm

I contacted them with Email then got a response 4 weeks later. Resplendens goes for $785 each. Cheaper than what LA offers, but still very expensive.

why bother?, if the CB&TR fish isn't affordable, someone will just get a cheap alternative. People try too hard to break even on their breeding projects "all in one shot".

Back