tank crash :(

nemogonecrazy

Non-member
well its official my tank has crashed came home today from work and found 99% of all sps had turned white and all softies were not polyped..all snails dead most of the hermies dead too. all the params checked out ok..looked at the temp was at 88 so i quess the heat must of did it i dont really know im just really lost for words. this sux. :(

OMG I am so sorry to hear that ... but alot of us have been threw it :(
get your tank bak where it belongs although your params are fine do lots of water changes and run the carbon full force .. figure out how to compensate for your heat issue and you will soon be on the restart.LMK when you are I will help out with whatever I can :)

That sucks Tim! So sorry to hear it. I've been there, as have many of the others on this board, and I know what a sinking feeling that gives you. You'll be back on top in no time though. Figure out your heat issue (a recording thermometer is a good one for this if you work during your lights-on cycle), do water changes (all that dead coral flesh will pollute the tank, and run carbon.

Nate

That really s@$%s Tim. I've been through two bad ones myself, one was when I moved two years ago. Take care of the temp issue and you'll be right back into it. This is one time you can be glad you don't have a 180 or bigger. Let me know if I can help you out when you get into stocking it again. I don't have much in the way of sps to frag, but I probably have some softies I could help you out with. Good luck.........

thank you all for the generosity.. just finished removing all of the dead. got my water filling as we speak gonna do a 10% change tonight and another 2morrow then follow the every other day schedule for about a week just to be safe. picked up a fan to help with the heat issue and im about to drop about a lb or 2 of carbon in the sump to help. im just glad the fish are ok ive had those guys for just under 4 years their like family.

That's terrible. The dark-side to this otherwise great hobby. I am finally coming around after a crash myself. I would suggest you do larger water changes, and as Nate suggested run lots of carbon and/or chemi-pure. The last thing you want is another mini crash after the first because of fouled water - that was the problem i was having. And make sure u find ALL the dead guys! Good luck

Oh no!! *big hugs* I'm so sorry... :( I always feel so guilty when my pets don't make it. :( I still dig holes in the backyard and burry my fish. They become part of the family, and it's so heartbreaking.

We're all thinking of you. *more hugs* You'll be back up and running again soon!

Melody~

the heat issue is caused by my upgrade in lights switched to mh over the winter so now that its getting warmer and being located on the third floor of a condo all the heat rising in combo with the new lights im finding out just how hard it can be to maintain a set temp in the tank..from the looks of it though i shut the lights of temp is norm again fan should help so hopefully i wont be starting a new style of tank u know the kind raso tank (rock and sand only tank) although very pretty ive heard their pretty boring :)

Very sorry to hear that. If I had this weekend of from work I would give you some frags at the meet...I will keep it in mind next meet though.

Let me know when you are back up and running and I'll see what I can get you for frags out of my tank. Really sorry to hear about your loss :( Not sure what size tank you have, but someone was selling on reef central one of the mini-chiller probes a few days ago.

Back