Tank Stand

Mad Reefer

Non-member
Hello all

I bought a new sump,a big sump, and now I have to build a bigger stand for it to fit under. Right now I have a 30 long on and iron stand with a 20 long under it for a sump. My question is , what would be the smallest dimension of wood used to build such a stand . I was thinking of using 1x3 Poplar. I dont want it to look to heavy... but ?

If anyone has built any like this let me know. Basicaly it has to support a 30 long on top and a 30 tall on the bottom... Thanks guys. Rob :)

I think 1x3 poplar is a little narrow. You could get away with 1x4 and build it like an AGA stand...Well you could techinically use 1x3, but you would need more of them. Why not use cabinet grade 3/4" plywood and brace it? It would look nicer and probably cost less than poplar. Also, if you want premade, nice doors for cheap, check this place out! www.cabinetdoorsandhardware.com I just ordered doors from them for a stand I'm making and also ordered from them before for all my kitchen cabinet doors.

delta said:
beaver woodworking in brockton is also a good place to have doors made
Yeah but Greg, did you see the prices on this site? I got 5 17.5"x22.75" maple (stained "Carmel") shaker style doors for a whopping $57.50. It's cheaper than the wood at Depot...I almost crapped myself when I bought all my kitchen cabinet doors and they were so nice. I got maple for them too (even though I was painting them) because they were so affordable.

Mad Reefer. The 1x3s would only be stronger (IMO) if they were built around the whole perimiter of the stand leaving openings for the doors. Iron stands may be thin, but they are very strong.

yes its a great price can't beat get a good deal:)

Madreefer you could just skin that iron stand with wood if all your looking to is dress it up.

I need to make a taller stand, sump is too tall to go under and have enough acsess . The sump is 23 inches tall x 12 deep x 34 long, The biggest pain is going to be swapping the stands :) Thanks

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back