Tank temperature warning system

mloebl

Non-member
After reading some of the disaster threads that routinely pop up where people lose everything (or enough expensive coral to FEEL like everything...), I got to thinking how it would be nice if there was a standalone warning system for monitoring tank temperatures. Part of the problem with thermometers is we have to make sure we keep an eye on them daily to catch a failing heater.

I couldn't find anything quite like it after doing some searches (unless I missed it), so I'm looking into creating a stand alone warning system for tanks that would basically buzz if the temperature was too high or too low. One of the things I'm looking at is having it wireless if I can get it to work so the probe and alarm could be anywhere. Probably no LCD at this point to keep it cheaper, and maybe a fixed temperature warning range as well.

Is this something people may be interested in?

-Mike

Most controllers can do this. I can have my system e-mail me if anything in my tank goes out of whack.

You could buy a used Aquacontroller junior or any of the other really cheap low end controllers and get a text page to your phone when the temp rises too high.

Unless you are making minimum wage, it would be far cheaper not to re-invent the wheel.
M.

I bought a digital thermometer at Aqua Addicts that would record max and min temps, and alarm above 82 and below 78. I think it was $20. It would be nice to have one that had a slightly higher upper limit (like 84), or adjustable limits, but for my tank it worked great.

If that's what you're looking for, you might check if AA still carries it (I bought mine years ago).

Yeah, they had something like that up there the other day, I only looked at it briefly, so cannot really comment in depth on it's capabilities.

Thanks guys, I knew about the AC Jr but was trying to go cheaper. The other ones must be bad at marketting since I couldn't find them :p

-Mike

An ultra ultra low tech soultion is one of those wireless BBQ thermometers. You set a range, drop the probe in the water, and if it goes outside that range it beeps on the remote. 200 ft range. Not sure if it works in saltwater, but I've used mine for years (not for fish tank) and the batteries last forever. $20 bucks or so.

Hitting the $20 price point and having wireless PC connectivity would be sweet. Sign me up for the beta test!

Hitting the $20 price point and having wireless PC connectivity would be sweet. Sign me up for the beta test!

That would be tough. Its definitely doable in the $50 range.

Check out some of the wireless routers on ebay that can run OpenWRT (linux) and throw a Dallas 1-wire sensor array on it, and you're in business.

Buddy of mine can do PCB design, and I am looking into retrofitting something he has already... to kind of fit my own tastes as well as his (to monitor his pool), I think it's going to be a wireless receiver that will be able to have an unlimited number of wireless sensors. If it works, I'd like to add pH support to it as well. Think of an aquacontroller without the controller so much cheaper... just a monitor with hopefully USB PC interfaceability besides the standard LCD, and it will have multiple wireless sensor expandability. Just something to play with to exercise the old brain :D

-Mike

That would be tough. Its definitely doable in the $50 range.

Check out some of the wireless routers on ebay that can run OpenWRT (linux) and throw a Dallas 1-wire sensor array on it, and you're in business.

Do you have a link with more info on the Dallas 1-wire sensor array? I have OpenWRT already... :)

He's a looooooooong thread up on RC about it: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=484912 I think it has the link to the WWW site where the guy did it. I believe you need to do some soldering to take advantage of a serial header on the Linksys board... so it's not for the faint of heart :)

-Mike

Thanks for the link. It looks like too much of a WIP for me to try to take up. The Aquacontroller JR seems like a good choice, unfortunately I need something that can warn me through internet access instead of a phone line :/

Its not really a work in progress if you want to use the boards from HobbyBoards...but if you dont want to spend $20 a sensor, you gotta DIY

Back