Tempered glass - why can't I cut out the middleman?

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
I'm working on a DIY 150w metal halide mod of my power compact hood and need tempered glass. I understand that tempered glass needs to be cut then tempered and almost all glass shops will have to special order it. My question is why can't I cut out the glass shop altogether and get it from the same place they do. Most shops want to pass along a $20-30 delivery charge that they have to pay to me the customer. Does anyone know of a a place that actually does the tempering? I'd love to find a number to a tempering shop. I know, what a long shot this post is.

I really don't know how this glass industry works, it seems that we always have to go through a middle man. I have been trying to find some glass place online and cut the middle man to buy cheaper and build my own custom tank, but can't find any. If you lucked out I sure would like to know.

Thanks, but unfortunately I need something 6.5" x 30.25" and 1/8 thick to fit my CustomSeaLife hood I'm mod'ing.

OK. Here is the deal Contact Glass in Wilmington (800-649-9957) is a tempered glass manufacturer. Most of the other glass shops get their tempered glass from Contact. So by going directly to Contact I just the price in half. I'm a happy man! :)

hey, i was asking about the same thing for replacement UV shields for my DE bulb refelctors. I sent out a bunch of emails to many glass places. most of them require you buy in a big lot, or else the sizes are much bigger than the cut I needed. I gave that up and ordered from the fixture manufacturer instead, much cheaper.

thats a good find though, ill look them up next time I need some tempered glass.

It is probably still cheaper to get a replacement from the fixture manufacturer. I would have done that if I had the option. After about 4 or 5 days of searching this is the only place I've found that has an oven on site.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back