Territory Clash: Jawfish and Anemone Hosting Clownfish

wpeterson

BRS Member
Our Yellow-headed Jawfish moved his burrow to a spot just below our Rainbow bubble-tip anemone about 3 months ago. This was a fine territory, as our two clownfish stayed mostly in the upper half of the tank and left him alone.

However, one month ago the RBTA began hosting the male of our Clownfish pair. With the male hosted by the anemone, the female is always closer by.

When I am feeding the tank despite attempts at target feeding - there is now contention over food and territory it seems. The anemone and the Jawfish's burrow are very close together. Unfortunately, this lends 80% of my fish biomass being in one small third of my tank.

I have not seen any active violence or signs of injury, but the Jawfish often acts aggressively with his mouth wide open and will swim/nip in the direction of the clowns - without seeming to connect or do damage.

I'm reluctant to move the Anemone or the Jawfish's burrow - either would likely be traumatic.

Any advice for helping to diffuse the tensions here? How much is this likely to escalate? Any help is appreciated.

Here's a picture of the layout:

2014-05-21%2016.26.07.jpg

The Jawfish's burrow is right below his position in the picture. There are live rocks behind the burrow forming a cave, which the Anemone is attached within. The Anemone hangs out the mouth of the cave with it's bubble tips when the lights are on.

The small male Percula Clownfish is hosted in the Anemone almost all the time. The larger female Percula usually hangs out elsewhere in the tank unless I'm feeding. Then all the action is right in the center of this area.

You could try adding the food farther away and letting it float around a bit. The jawfish will likely swim farther to get the food, while the clowns will stay closer to the nem. That might break up the aggression some, and also might lead the jawfish to extend his burrow to add another entrance on the other side of the tank.

*disclaimer, I've only kept a bluespot jawfish, I'm only guessing that my experience with that fish might generalize to your jawfish.

that is how my clowns started hosting as well, first the male than the female, than the female chases the male away most of the time and the poor guy keeps coming back and she gives him a a beating once very couple of days and chases him away and than there's peace and happiness for another couple of days, ...

no clue what a jawfish is but I can tell you the female clown can probably stand it's ground against most of the fish, mine chases away a 4 in yellow tang so badly that the poor thing runs every time she moves a little to abruptly.

Back