Terry Seigal and his 700ish gal system

naturebatslast

Senior Toad Licker
Wow, the Maine club, SWAM, had incredible luck this Sunday and scored a meeting hosted by Terry Seigal. Maybe that's only plus side of a pretty small club. Nothing really formal, we just hung out for about 3 hours picking his brain and drooling over the 700ish gal system, with 20 year old colonies, some collected with Julian Srung. And, has an insane knowledge base, particulary fish husbandry. I'll post some pictures when I can.
Even better, I only had to walk 2 blocks to get there.

That sucks, it's free to join anyway. I'll post a few...
Feeding time was a blizzard of stinky flake, that all he feeds
index[2].jpg
The sump is a 50gal on milkcrates, used as an overflow into a stock tub, to another stock tub with a large ETS and a monster ASM skimmer, a big phoshate/carbon reactor, Ca reactor and kalk. I think all he dosed was magnesium and strontium.
The last picture tries to get the size of the colonies in perspective, the large Acro colony is 15ish years old and about 2.5 feet wide at the widest part. He hadn't added colars to the display in the last 15 years, and was afraid to introduce anything else.

Attachments

• index[4].jpg
    index[4].jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 297
  • index5.jpg
    index5.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
I had the opportunity to catch Terry speaking at the BAS (Boston Aquarium Society) a few years ago. Great talk and I got to chat with him a bit afterwards. He is indeed a wealth of knowledge. I've always admired the way he lets the corals he does have, grow to maturity and their full potential.

Terry is a great guy, so easy to talk with. I have lost track of him the last couple of years but he had a clown fish in his tank that he had from his first tank it must have been twenty something years old. I never saw it but someone I know did and said it was the ugliest battered up looking thing you ever saw (Sebae I think).

Sadly, he lost most of his fish during the lates move up here, I think the Tomato clown was 20 years old!

FWIW, Terry's written several articles about his tank moves. They are all on line somewhere or another.

There are two triggerfish in the tank. A clown triggerfish and a rectangular triggerfish. They are not reef safe but I do not believe they bother the corals.
He feeds his fish a lot. He also got them as juvenile fish and they grew
in the tank. This may be why they do not bother the corals.
The clown triggerfish get quite large and aggresive. Its behavior with other
fish and people is another concern. Adding a new fish might be a issue.
This is a quote from the book Marine Fishes (Scott Michael)
"Has been known to attack its owners"

Back