The Incredible Leaping Naso?

dpnshnks

Non-member
Hi, I just picked up a Naso tang and read in "Marine Fishes" that these fish are prone to leap out of open tanks. I do have a cover for my tank, but would prefer not to use it if possible. I'm just curious what all your experiences with the fish? Well, maybe not "all," but a good number of opinions would be great!

if you dont want to cover the tank you can use eggcrate and put it in., im doing that over my overflow cause my RBTA KILLED ITSELF By climbing it and then getting stuck. I dont know how it did it but it wasn't pretty.

I've had a Naso for about 3 years and no jumps, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. The tank is not covered.

Nevermind, I don't have to worry about that fish jumping, as it died about 3 days after I put it in the tank. :( It fed great for the first day and was really social. On day two it was hiding in the rockwork and by the end of day three it was dead. Ideas as to what I did wrong, if anything?

Salt- 1.025
Nitrate- 40ppm (gonna do a water change this weekend along with pulling out some more of those damn bioballs)
dKH- 10
Calcium- 400ish

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that the clams that I put in at the same time are doing great along with all the coral I have.

That's funny you mention cyanide, because I said the same thing to the guy at Tropic Isle before he sold it to me. They have a full credit policy if the fish dies within 1 day and that sounded funny to me. If a fish dies in 1 day, it was either really sick to start with (which people should be able to spot), or you screwed up in acclimating. So, either way you cut it, a 1 day return policy seems like insurance on you being an idiot. Anyway, I asked him about what happens when the fish die later due to CN poisoning, he was noncommital and said that they try not to deal with people who catch with CN.

Anyways, those were my thoughts exactly!

Yeah, I know the nitrates are a bit high, but I have the flu, a major exam on monday, and a major presentation on Wednesday. No time for water change right now! :p Ammonia and nitrites are not detectable.

Back