The Stand is Done!

smcnally

Tankless
Well, I built the canopy today and it is complete. Here's some pictures.

Here it is all closed up. I know I've already said this, but the doors really do look the same color in person. I don't know why they look so light in the pictures.
DSC01283-1.jpg

Top opened.
DSC01285-1.jpg

This one is to show how I left the top opened up to allow for the heat to rise up and out. I just basically made bracing and mounting boards for lights.
DSC01286-1.jpg

The only other thing I'm going to do is mount one fan on each side angled down at the water to aid in evaporation. I'm really happy with how this came out!

Thanks, guys. Yeah, if you are any good with wood ti is worth doing yourself. It cost me about $300 in materials to build the stand and a matching TV stand/cabinet. It would have cost a crapload more if I had someone build it for me.

picasso said:
What wood did you use if you dont mind me asking, I may be getting a new tank and will need a stand
It is a few different types of wood, but they all matched up nicely. The frame is made of Fir, and then wrapped with 3/4" Birch plywood. The face frame and doors are made of Maple. I sanded it al with 220 grit, and then primed all the wood with wood conditioner (helps it have an even color). Then I put 3 coats of satin polyurethane on (sanding with 400 grit in between each coat).

ltelus said:
looks great Steve,better hurry up and get that new carpet down:)
Yeah...tell me about it, Liam! I have to wait 2 weeks for it too. It's gonna kill me!

marco67 said:
Steve,
Looks great....get that tank wet man!
Have to wait for my damn carpet to get put in:mad:
I'm cleaning out my livingroom this week though (All but the tank) and painting, so it will all be ready when they come.

Triggerfish said:
looks good..you thinking of making a molding to cover the black rim?
I've thought about it, but I kind of like the look. Once it gets salty and I have a hard time keeping it black looking I will probably cover it.

Just curiuos
You put 2x4's lying flat, I would think over time that these would warp from weight - down. From what I can see, there is any support on that front door.
I can see the suport around the rim of the tank on the sides & back - that is the same method I used
I did put trim around the top of the tank trim. I planned on trimming out the bottom too, but I haven't finished it yet.
WHen I install the 180g, I think I am going to go with 2 doors, with a removeable/hinged support in the middle

I like the open top design, but I think I may put them on edge instead of flat.
I also think I will have removeable tops that I will install in the winter to keep the heat in - but not sure.

I actually have 2 pieces of angle iron running down the middle of my tank
And my top is still sagging after 2 years. I am also having some wood go soft due to exposure - I used to have a powerhead in one spot that caused bubbles/spray

Scuba_Dave said:
Just curiuos
You put 2x4's lying flat, I would think over time that these would warp from weight - down. From what I can see, there is any support on that front door.
I will be surprised if it warps. It has almost no weight on the 2x4s, and they are not only screwed together, but "gorilla" glued. They are also waterproofed Fir which is a little more rigid than pine IMO. The door does not have a support. But, it has a 6' piano hinge screwed and glued to the board above to give even pressure when it hangs. The only way I could see it warping is if it got wet for extended periods of time. Putting the 2x4s on edge would be stronger, but I don't find it necessary.
Scuba_Dave said:
I like the open top design, but I think I may put them on edge instead of flat.
I also think I will have removeable tops that I will install in the winter to keep the heat in - but not sure.

I thought about this too, but it hasn't been an issue yet.

Scuba_Dave said:
I actually have 2 pieces of angle iron running down the middle of my tank
And my top is still sagging after 2 years. I am also having some wood go soft due to exposure - I used to have a powerhead in one spot that caused bubbles/spray
IMO, angle iron will bend "warp" under its own weight if it is streched across a long length. I would think anything under 1.5" would bend over time if it was stretched over 6'. Nitrofish would know much better than me since he is a metal guy. My wood honestly has been dry since the day I installed it. I don't even have salt spray on my bulbs. I guess time will tell. If it starts to warp, I'll definitely support it, but it has been holding up perfect since I built it.

Back