These snails any good

sdexcalibur1

Fish junkie
Ebaying again, Their are a bunch of people selling these tyhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46308&item=4365025062&tc=photopes of snail, Are they any good, I desperatly need to restock, Thanks
Steve

from what i heard they are not the right kind, that the right ones are vibbex (sp). but i've read that lots of people have had some success with them. let me know how it works out
tina

I have bought these before,not sure how effective they are on detritous but they move around the sand bed pretty well.
-Liam.

so far so good

I bought same kind from ebay last Oct, and I'd say I still have 30 or so alive out of 50.....not too bad for the price. They spend more time sifting thru the sand then cleaning the glass tho :)

like most of the replies here. My experience is similar. I have noticed some climb out of open aquariums. At night they do travel up the glass. I am inclined to think that these snails are intertidal, and like to come out of the water now and again.

-B-

From Andrew J. Martinez Marine Life of the North Atlantic:
Ilyanassa obsoleta
Eastern Mud Whelk
Habitat: Mudflats, usually near the low-tide line
Range: Gulf of St. Lawrence to Florida
Comments: This is the most common snail found on the mudflats. It is omnivirous and, being a scavenger, is often found on dead animals. Also called Common Mud Snail, Mud Dog Whelk.

That's right guys, it's just those millions of snails found all along our shores. I kept a small local tank with some various fish I caught last summer (pipefish, puffers, searobins, etc.) and dumped a ton of these guys in with the sand. They promptly buried themselves and only really come out at night, or sometimes during feeding time. They must have an amazing sense of "smell" because they would start to stir less than 30 seconds after the fish were fed. When I cleaned the tank out at the end of the summer, I hadn't lost a single snail; although after moving, I did find some on the carpet behind the tank. Also, I did not have to clean the glass for the entire summer. Granted the tank was only lit with NO, and unheated, I found this to be quite astonishing. They seem pretty benign and do a great job at stirring up the sand although they weren't kept with many inverts. My advice would be to take the family to the beach and grab a bunch of these guys. Make sure you do not get any oyster drills, however!!!! They will kill your clams, barnacles, turkey wings, or any other bivalve you have. Check out the above mentioned book to see some pics. Good luck!

Oyster Drill
Urosalpinx cinerea
"The oyster drill and sea stars are the two biggest enemies of oyster beds. With its radulata, this gastropod drills a small hole into the bivalve's shell, inserts its probiscis, and feeds."
Scary indeed. Here's some pics:
The good, Ilyanassa obsoleta
0b18e364.jpg

and the bad, Urosalpinx cinerea
8b353e6c.jpg

I hope those pics help.
Again, the pics and info have been taken from Marine Life of the North Atlantic by Andrew J. Martinez
I should probably reveiw the rules, can I post copyrighted material as long as it's cited???

Back