Thinking about getting back in

beckisguy73

Non-member
So I have been wanting to set up a new tank for a while now and want an all in one system.

Looking for some advice. I have been thinking about the JBJ 28g LED and the question is do I go with the 27watt or the 89 watt?.. I don't plan on doing any sps but I would like an RBTA and would love some acans, blastos and pretty much zoos and palys. Do I really need to spend the extra $300 on the 89watt or should I save my money for the live stock????

Thank you,
Mike
PS also taking suggestions for a RR cube of maybe 24"x24" with stand and still would like LED. Would like to stay in the same price range as the JBJ.

You may change your mind about the SPS in the future. Acans can do fine in low light same with everything else you mentioned ( im not sure about the RBTA) Just do a google search on the par readings for the 2 different jbj`s and the lighting requirements of the rbta.

Im not exactly sure about the led lighting, but don't BTA's require higher intensity lighting? Unless the lower version led can support them, it becomes how bad do you want the BTA, because then you would be spending essentially $300 more for the BTA....

Any reason you want the LED over the MH one? To keep heat down?

I have the MH one and I personally would go with the cube and a sump if I we're you. I was working on a new tank, so I could get rid of mine, but that turned into a disaster haha. I hate the limited choices for equipment and limited room with the AIO tanks...

If you do go with the NC I would go with the stronger lighting because eventually you'll want SPS again haha

i have a rbta under a radion and it grew from a 2" to 6" now.so yes led can support a rbta

So I have been wanting to set up a new tank for a while now and want an all in one system.

Looking for some advice. I have been thinking about the JBJ 28g LED and the question is do I go with the 27watt or the 89 watt?.. I don't plan on doing any sps but I would like an RBTA and would love some acans, blastos and pretty much zoos and palys. Do I really need to spend the extra $300 on the 89watt or should I save my money for the live stock????

Thank you,
Mike
PS also taking suggestions for a RR cube of maybe 24"x24" with stand and still would like LED. Would like to stay in the same price range as the JBJ.

27w is just too little to keep any coral in that tank. RBTA requires high light, 89 watt of LED may do just fine for it. With that said, I will not spend extra $300 just for 89watt of light, I will just toss the stock light and replace it with a 120w eBay LED for half of the money.

As far as the RBTA I did have one outgrow my last biocube with the stock PC lighting. Also as far as SPS I have never really been into it. I just like acans, blastos and I also had some Duncan's that grew great!! I just don't want another big tank. The biocube was the tank I had the most success with. I had a 125 with a full 75g sump in the basement but it was just more enjoyable having the small tank with much less work. The pic in my avatar is the biocube just before I broke it down and set up the 125.
Also yes the reason for LED is to keep heat down and also not having the cost of replacing the bulbs so often.

the ebay LEDs are pretty nice.................I may have 1 u can borrow if u want to try it out................

they grow sps just fine, from what I understand they draw 84 watts

joe scavo may still have the 24x24 cube he was selling, and the larger fixture is how you want to go

Back