This reefing this is frustrating!

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
I moved my water circulating pumps last night to better circulation in the tank and now I have the sandstorm of the century! Looks like this one is going to last a while :(

How long would you say the sand takes before it builds up enough stuff to weight it down so this doesn't happen everytime??

even with weight its no match for the flow of a power head. Set your skimmer to skim very very wet, with the tube all the way up and that will help, you will have to empty it alot.

You used southdown right? Im using the same thing... Mine still will produce a storm if I dont aim the flow right. As the sand settles back down use a turkey baster to blow the sand off corals and anything live you have in there.

Did you rinse the sand before putting it in the tank Kevin? That helps the sand settle down a lot quicker. Mine wasn't really an issue with getting stirred up after about a week.

NateHanson said:
Did you rinse the sand before putting it in the tank Kevin? That helps the sand settle down a lot quicker. Mine wasn't really an issue with getting stirred up after about a week.

No, when I originally put the sand in a couple of months ago I read every post I could find regarding rinsing or not rinsing and decided to not rinse the sand.

I am going to throw a couple of filter socks on the returns today and catch all the floating particals.Tomorrow I was planning on a water change. I also adjusted my skimmer to run a bit wetter to catch a bit more particals also.

I can relate I am still trying to do my aquascaping with my rocks lastnight I finally got all the rocks I want on the san there, maybe today I can see. hopefully I wont stur up anymore sand finishing.I didnt rinse either

You can make a good particulate filter with some filter floss then a layer of sand then more floss. Beets the heck out of a $25 filter especially when you use sewing batting as the floss. costs about $0.11 total.

~Flighty~ said:
Don't say I didn't tell you so :p

I have a canister filter you can borrow if you want to LMK

Thanks Cindy, I have a canister that I am running carbon in. I will get some poly fil today and pack that sucker!

Back