Threaded VS Slip Unions

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
I'm curious to know which one is preferred. I see an advantage with threaded because it will allow me to change my plumbing setup down the road, but could also turn into a good place for a leak.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

If you use thread tape I don't think leaks will be a problem. However, one drawback to the threaded ones is that they require an extra adaptor, and if you're tight on space, that's not good. slip allows you to glue pipe or a street elbow directly into the union.

On the threaded union plus side...I cracked one putting it on, but didn't know it until it started to ooze a few weeks later. Shut off the pump, 5 minutes later, all done! I also have discovered the joy of thread paste instead of tape. If you put too much tape on, you can crack or break it by over-tightening. The paste fills in the threads, and any excess pushes out! Have had good results using the paste!

Yeah, I've noticed that plumbers never use tape. Always teflon thread dope. So I always use that for my house plumbing, and it's great. But I've been afraid to use it on the reef because it would be hard to keep it from oozing into the joint some and possibly contaminating the water. Not sure if that's a concern, and at any rate it would probably be solved by rinsing before putting in use, but that's why I've stuck with tape on the reef.

NateHanson said:
Yeah, I've noticed that plumbers never use tape. Always teflon thread dope. So I always use that for my house plumbing, and it's great. But I've been afraid to use it on the reef because it would be hard to keep it from oozing into the joint some and possibly contaminating the water. Not sure if that's a concern, and at any rate it would probably be solved by rinsing before putting in use, but that's why I've stuck with tape on the reef.

It says that all ingredients are non-hazardous. I have used it exclusively now for 6 months or so...unions, pumps, etc. and had zero issues!

The down side I have found with threaded plumbing is it leaks sooner or later. Vibrations, bumping, hard to turn valves all lead to the threads backing off. although not a huge problem the leaks and salt creep are unsitely and cause damage to surrounding equiptment, cabinets, floors and walls.

Although you can re-arrange the plumbing I have found IME that slip fit are pretty much full proof if they dont leak they never leak. Big piece of mind for me. Also as Nate pointed out the plumbing is more compact.
The fact is with creative thinking you can re-arange\re-use your plumbing for the most part with slip fit too.

I really want to use slip fit, and think due to some of the comments here I will. I'm so so damn indecisive though, and I KNOW that as soon as I have everything plumbed I'll want to do it all over again. Kind of like aquascaping... PVC-scaping...

Steve

stevenp said:
I really want to use slip fit, and think due to some of the comments here I will. I'm so so damn indecisive though, and I KNOW that as soon as I have everything plumbed I'll want to do it all over again. Kind of like aquascaping... PVC-scaping...

Steve
I feel your pain:)

Back