-Tips on making Yasha Goby and Red Band pistol shrimp show up!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
Just bought both guys and tried to pair them up by acclimating them together for while and then half diggin a hole for the pistol shrimp, putting some nice crushed live rock next to it and then releasing them on top of it.

Well, that was wishfull thinking. They ran off and haven't seen them since yesterday. I know it still early, but is there a trick to get them to show up again or maybe even set shop somewhere where I can see them?

I have a LOT of rock work and hiding places, so I am not so much concerned that they r not doing good as much as "I will never see them again" (cause they decided to make a den on the back of the tank!)

Any suggestion would be nice...

Thanks
Higor

Last edited:
No tips for you, but I had/have a similar experience.

I bought a trio from Live Aquaria: two Yasha Gobies and a Red Banded shrimp. They were supposedly "together". I added them to the DT all at the same time. As soon as they hit the water they were gone/out of sight.

The next day my son found one of the Yashas on the floor, dead. It jumped through the 1/4" screen on the top of the DT.

We didn't see the other Yasha or the shrimp for over a week. Looking under the DT with a flash light (even today, months later) it looks like I can see tunnels the shrimp would live in, and occassionally we see movement. I've never seen it "out".

The surviving Yasha was hidden for 2-3 weeks. One day while feeding it peeked out, then came out for some food. Since then it has disappeared for weeks at a time; showing up once in a while when I feed.

For instance, saw it today... first time in over a week.

If my bigger fish want to hide I have a hard time finding them; I've given up on trying to keep track of the little ones.

Somewhat related -- We bought 3x Red Fire Fish... all went in at the same time. Two seemed kinda paired up, the third would hide a lot of the time. Weeks later the pair is no where to be seen and the single one is always out and about. Part of me wants to move rocks and find the pair, but I don't want to disrupt the rest of the tank. (Yes, I checked behind the tank, overflows, etc. No sign of them.)

No tips for you, but I had/have a similar experience.

I bought a trio from Live Aquaria: two Yasha Gobies and a Red Banded shrimp. They were supposedly "together". I added them to the DT all at the same time. As soon as they hit the water they were gone/out of sight.

The next day my son found one of the Yashas on the floor, dead. It jumped through the 1/4" screen on the top of the DT.

We didn't see the other Yasha or the shrimp for over a week. Looking under the DT with a flash light (even today, months later) it looks like I can see tunnels the shrimp would live in, and occassionally we see movement. I've never seen it "out".

The surviving Yasha was hidden for 2-3 weeks. One day while feeding it peeked out, then came out for some food. Since then it has disappeared for weeks at a time; showing up once in a while when I feed.

For instance, saw it today... first time in over a week.

If my bigger fish want to hide I have a hard time finding them; I've given up on trying to keep track of the little ones.

Somewhat related -- We bought 3x Red Fire Fish... all went in at the same time. Two seemed kinda paired up, the third would hide a lot of the time. Weeks later the pair is no where to be seen and the single one is always out and about. Part of me wants to move rocks and find the pair, but I don't want to disrupt the rest of the tank. (Yes, I checked behind the tank, overflows, etc. No sign of them.)

my 2 firefish hid for 3 weeks before coming out

Crap man!!! :mad:

Alright then... I kind of feared that...I have a screen covering the back (open) end of my canopy, so I don't see him jumping. I do have a Helfrichi Firefish that has dug his hole right under a rock in front of the tank. The worse I have seen him do is jump in my overflow.

I really wish I get to see these guys eventually. Paid $75 for the Yasha+Shrimp pair...

Back