tornado in my tank? O.o WTF

SharkLover

T5 LPS
So umm..
I noticed a tiny tornado building on the sand bed under the powerhead I have in my tank. Is this normal? and can i stop it from occuring?
The tornado occasional throws sand around which i dont like.

My maxijets occasionally would form a whirlpool from the top of the tank. I lowered them a little and the problem went away.

I tried moving it and it creatings whirlpools anywhere below it. i just dont wanna have to put a rock under it and i cant power control it

Are you getting tornados directly under the powerhead intake? How high off the bottom are the powerheads? Do they have intake screens on them?

Maybe try turning the powerheads sideways or upside down.

hmm, maybe its upside down right now actually.
I have it so the cord side, the side with the sticker on it... is facing up.
Could it be that simple. LOL I'll check it out when i get home

What brand of powerhead do you have. If it's a maxijet, the typical installation is with the intake screen pointing down. Also make sure you've got the plug in that aeration hole at the top of the output. The suction in that hole could possibly be causing your tornado.

That's odd......do you have another powerhead in the tank blow in the direction of the Hydor #2? If so that might be pushing the water down and stirring the sand.

I have a Nano, #1 and a # 2 all stuffed in my 20 gallon high, so you should be able to find a spot for it to not disturb your sand. Just make adjustments until you find the right spot.

Back