Tropic Marin Salt - Local Source

Skiptons sells it and Aqua Addicts sells it.
AA has the new TM Reef blend, which is supposed to be enriched with a more
natural' mineral balance for captive reefs. FYI - I've been using the regular TM for
3 years now and love it. I've been waiting for the switch to the Reef blend since I spoke with the TM guy at MACNA. As soon as I can get myself up to AA to pick some up I'll be all over it. Not sure whether Skiptons has the Reef blend yet, but I'm sure they will soon.

b

Hi Bec! Thanks for the info...I use to buy mine at Little Shop of Pets until the puppy I bought there was sold to me with pneumonia...any way, the little one cost $500 and another $3000 for 2 weeks in the doggy hospital. The store only reimbursed me $200 cash and $300 in TM salt....so for the last year I was all set....but now I need to buy some quickly since I am running out!

I think TM is one of the best salts on the market...not sure about the new "Reef Blend" since, like you, I have used regular TM for the last 5 years.

The pro reef is garbage!! I also spoke to them at macna & I was one of the two who was able to score the pro reef they brought with them for display. I've been using TM for over 4 years & I also feel it was the best out there & most consistent upon random testing of different lots. Bec, It appears that sources say: Pro reef will not be coming to the US. There having trouble in a few areas. One is shipping it from Germany as that is the only place it is mfg. The other is they are having trouble with the new formula. It seems the new formula is chelated for better mixing of the extras pro reef offers. I used it for one water change & I had blotches of tissue peeling off an open brain & also a show size hydnophora colony. Both corals have been with me for over 5 years & I have never had any problems with them ever!! I will not use it again. I used I believe 20 gals from a 200 gal bucket. That little amount caused all that. I switched back to the original & not a problem.

Wow Brian... that's some warning. Thanks for the info. Mike up at AA sent a note on his last shipment list saying that they've got TM Pro Reef in stock now... so I've been chomping at the bit, hoping to try it. Your experience just made me take a giant step back!

I love the original TM, and I'm not interested in risking my reef on anything questionable. I had assumed that the new mix would be just a beefed-up version of the original. Sounds like there may be some issues I hadn't counted on.

Chuck -
Thanks for the offer to pick up salt. I may take you up on that some time.

b

reefnroll said:
Wow Brian... that's some warning. Thanks for the info. Mike up at AA sent a note on his last shipment list saying that they've got TM Pro Reef in stock now... so I've been chomping at the bit, hoping to try it. Your experience just made me take a giant step back!

Your welcome. I didn't want to bash TM cause I do like the original formula. Since the subject came up I felt inclined to pass on the news. I've been informed there are some posts out there in regards to the new chelated formula. I just can't seem to find them. Stick with the old faithful!!!

Bri

Back