Tropical Isle

asing

Non-member
Went to Tropical Isle in Framingham, MA a few weeks ago just to take a look to see the place because a friend of mine had suggested I take a look because I am doing salt (he does freshwater). I was suprised to see how much livestock they had. Basically put other stores that I have been to to shame. All the fish they had looked very healthy and were very reasonably priced. I am in Southern NH so am basically limited to the few stores around here, and I have to say if I lived closer this would be my first choice to purchase fish. They also had a few coral tanks set up, which also looked clean and healthy. Just my .02.

Ellis is still the owner, but they are under new management, Jen. She runs a tight ship and the store is really lookin nice.

I'm not too certain the name of the lady who works out there but I have interacted twice with her in the past two months and she was not pleasant nor helpful.......hopefully I caught her on a bad day(s). The livestock is really nice though and I'm planning to get fish from there.

I have had hit or miss experiences with them. Some have been real pleasent and some not so much. Have had great success swappin out CO2 tanks there to get them refilled. Had a good experience a few months ago when looking for some silicone, they didn't have what I wanted but the girl gave up tons of suggestions about where to order it and what to look for at a hardware store (I did know of these but was looking for something local to do the work that day). Then went in to find some T5 bulbs several weeks ago. Was looking for some ATI bulbs and they didn't have any on the racks so I decided I would ask an employee if they carry anything other than what was on the shelf. Just got a vers sarcastic "well those aren't that great". I asked if he had seen the PAR values on the ATI Blue Plus bulbs telling him they were pretty good and the response I got was "you must be one of those Boston Reefers" and that was about it. Was quite suprised at this experience but still go there for some things just out of convienience as I can drive by there on my way home from work. The other LFS that I normally go to is about an hour trip one way from my house.

Discussion removed i also had different experiences every time i go there. sometimes good, sometimes bad. some employes are nice some of them not so nice. i had to beg for help multiple times i have gone there. recently i purchased a tear drop maxima and the employe that was clearly new riped the foot out of the rock. after that the poor clam was destined to die. i couldn't revive the clam. if it wasn't for there 10% discount they offer i probably would never go there

Last edited by a moderator:
Discussion removed.

I think (for the most part) they carry crummy brands of bulbs for t5s

I pop in there from time to time, but not often anymore for various reasons. I only ever buy fish/inverts there that I cant get anywhere else.

Most of the workers are nice, but I avoid Ellis like the plague.

Discussion removed i personally have never had any issues. the prices are OK, i mean, do a little homework before you go, no big deal. Discussion removed

i think they have the best, most consistently healthy selection of saltwater livestock any place in Massachusetts. Discussion removed theres a girl thats helped me several times there, and im happy as a clam she's bagging my stuff. pun intended.

-b

Back