Trying to build a protein skimmer

soglf

Non-member
We're starting to to build a bigger protein skimmer for our 110g, but I'm running into a mind block on trying to build a skimmate collection cup that is easily removed. Any one have a good solution, or am I damned to piping it into an open bucket on the floor?

yup, that's how a lot of the skimmers do it now a-days, at least it looks like a union...

just get it to match the diameter of the skimmer body obviously...

my msx cone skimmer collection cup just sits in the body, with a silicone O ring between the cup and the body

Here's a few pictures of a skimmer I made last year that will give you an idea of the collection cup.

Attachments

• Fuge7.jpg
    Fuge7.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 324
  • Fuge5.jpg
    Fuge5.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Fuge6.jpg
    Fuge6.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 306
I thought you were supposed to drill it as close to the bottom as possible so you dont end up with a few inches of stagnant skimmate in the cup. Most of it will go to the bucket if it is low.

Here's a few pictures of a skimmer I made last year that will give you an idea of the collection cup.

So you did the fab on the cup from scratch? The union for a disconnect isn't where I'm stuck, it's the fab of the actual cup. I think I have a good idea of it now, thanks Leroy!

Back