Trying to figure out flow rate...

Mad Reefer

Non-member
Hello

I know how important flow is, but I'm trying to unclutter the tank. I have a 30 long and a 20 long for sump/refugium. I have a Mag 5 and a overflow box. Now the Mag 5 moves 500 gph right ? How much flow with a 4 foot rise? I dont have a lot of room for powerheads so... could I use a Maxijet 1200 to pump water from the sump to the display tank through a small line for additional water movement ? Would it be worth it ?
I know ... alot of questions , one more ....How much flow Min for this tank?

:confused: :confused:

maxijet not worth it. if it could even handle 4 feet of head, I dont think you'd get much out of it.

That being said, what do you plan on keeping? The mag5 will probably give you around 300gph if you have pretty straight runs in the plumbing.

300 would be plenty fine if you plan on shrooms/zoos/softies and such, but forget it for SPS. What do you want to keep?

I was keeping a 20L with a mag 5 as the return, and my softies/lps (cept the frogspawn) looked awesome, but the SPS didnt look so good.

Let us know what your goals are, and we can give you better answers.

I do plan on keeping mostly softies. Right now I have Pom Pom Xenia, small Toadstool,Riccordia,Green Shrooms,Star Polyps,Small Hammer frag. I also have very small Digi and Hairy Accropora. Flow in the tank looks pretty good now with Mag 5 and Two PH's.

OHHH..didnt realize there were already 2 powerheads in there.

If it looks fine to you, it probably is....

Back