U tubes

merk1_99

Salting away
Any sponsers sell a U tube for a HOB overflow with a diameter larger than 1 1/4''. I need something in the 1 1/2'' or 1 3/4'' range.

Thanks
Rick

That?s huge for an overflow I wonder if you can even hold a siphon with that size. If so maybe you could make in with PVC pipe and elbows. Can?t you use more than one regular size?

My box has no problem supporting my U tube which is 1 1/4''. It is flat out flying through the tube. Doesn't even give the tube an opportunity to collect bubbles. I want to open my mag 9.5 wide open. Using the head calc at RC it calculated a gph lower than what the mag is putting out when I open it up.

try opening up the pump for a weekend while you're home all the time. i bet it will be fine....your tube isn't supposed to collect bubbles.....if it does ever collect them then you don't have enough return flow to your tank...i think u tubes that size are rated for around400-600 GPH aren't they? what is the GPH in your tank after considering head pressure and tube diameter and 90's or T's in the return line...

ANDY

I know the u tube isn't to collect bubbles. If it does the water is flowing too slow. I have my mag 9.5 on a ball valve only open 3/4. With the RC calculator my gph is in the 600-650 gph. When I open it 100% I overflow the tank. The box can deff hold more flow, just the tube can't move water fast enuff. I used 1/2'' plastic tubing and I was able to open the ball valve about 15% more with out over flowing the tube. The lenght of the tube is much longer than the u tube because it can't hold the shape of the tube without kinking... I'd use pvc but you caqn't see through it to see a potential bubble problem.

Rick

You might try making one yourself. I'm hoping to make one this weekend and will let you know how it turned out. I bought my tubing from US Plastic. They carry all sizes of extruded acrylic tubing. Down side is only in six foot lengths, but then you have some extra to practice on. Should be fairly simple. I've heard filling tube with sand before heating and bending works great.

Chip

Back