Vaca - Turkey/Bodrum, and a little snorkeling.

gweston

Non-member
I didn't see a diving related forum, so figured this is the best spot to post :)

Just got back from a trip to Turkey. As part of the trip, did some snorkeling around the Bodrum area... had a wonderful opportunity to spend ~3 days on a yacht. I wish I had an in-water usable camera.. alas I didn't. I saw a great number of fish of various species... I did my best to try to identify what I saw after the fact, but I cannot be sure. The areas I swam consisted mostly of a sandy bottom with rocky shore areas. Eel grass. Lots of urchins, snails, and hermits.. and..

-A rather large, fat 'fire worm/bristle worm'.

-Orange Colored FanWorm, gorgeous color (possibly Bispira volutacornis)

-A large Blenny-like fish - I believe it may have been a Lizard Fish
It could very well have been a blenny.. such as the Rusty Blenny, though I did not notice any pronounced back fin (I saw it top-down)

-Flatfish: a few of these of various sizes. Likely a Scaldfish or Flounder.

-Wrasses- lots of varying species. Lots of color! Some looked fairy wrasse-like. Others were a gorgeous green/color mix, etc.
I loved these, followed various ones for well over an hour.

-Chromis - schools of tiny fish. Chromis? front half black, back half a stunning deep purple.

-Anthias - schools of dark brown or black colored. Fearless and friendly.. swam through/with them. They looked like Anthias, but could have been something else.

-Other -

-Something that looked like a Foxfish, but was entirely silver. Rather large and right near shore in shallow water. It flashed and opened it's mouth at me and darted into it's cave.

-Schools of pale bluish fish with a singe black spot on the tail. The tail was probably yellowish colored. Gruntfish maybe?

-In the eel grass. Similar to a Harlequin Tusk in appearance, but fewer bars, far less colorful. I think the bars were blackish. The fish was whitish with dull orange in places. When I got near it would go into the eel grass and remain stationary.

"I wish I had an in-water usable camera" :(

But.. organizing some pics and a video of geese swimming in the ocean. As we fed the geese bread the fish were gathering around... can be seen in the video a little bit. Will try to post up tonight.

Just a tease without pictures...
Sounds like a fun vacation though!

Back