very high tank temp help

willray

Division Champs
Got home from work yesterday and the tank glass was dirty/slimey.I just cleaned it in the morning so I knew something was up.Most of my Fish where dead :(.Corals didn't seem to mind....much:confused:Tank temp was 92.

My question....is it usually a heater that causes that or can pumps and such fail and raise the temp like that also?

it was almost certainly a heater....and really sorry for your losses. water change, new carbon, and watch the corals for bleaching/rtn after a spike like that. Nitrates might be an issue from the livestock loss too

Last edited:
That stinks. I guess it might be time to purchase some new heaters just in case...

Very likely the heater as mentioned above, but a failing pump can heat up a tank, but you can tell by touching it.

That is a bummer Bill sorry to hear. Most likely it was the heater but yea some pumps add a considerable amount of heat to the tank. I would be surprised if it was able to bring the temp up that far unless there were other things going on as well.

LMK if I can help in any way, having lost most of my fish in the last week I know exactly how you feel.

another heater mass murder.

When mine went....My Flame Angel was fried....and 4 or 5 of the best looking frags/corals.....

Yelloy tang wasn't hurt at all...:confused:

If you wan't some branching hammer ( or flatworms) ...let me know.....

Something to consider when buying the heater (and I apologize if I'm merely stating the obvious): I'm not sure if you only had one originally, but it's usually safer to buy multiple, low-wattage heaters instead of one, higher-watt heater. That way, even if one does fail it's usually not sufficient to heat the tank up enough to kill livestock before you catch the problem.

Best of luck with your recovery!

Cheers to all of you.Thank you!
RIP goldie and friends.I took all dead critter out immediately.Not much to do now except wait and see if rtn and such shows it's ugly self.(no jinx,no jinx).I still have a couple of fish :p a purc,horse face blenny(this guy has a fun personality),orange stripe prawn goby,manderin, all of these have been with me for years... maybe thats what saved them?Got home late yesterday and the polyps were extended on most of the corals...a good sign I hope.
I have 3 heaters all 150 watters one in my sump one in the overflow and one in the tank.I had checked all the pumps by clamping my hands on them no vibrations or excess heat.Doing a water change that night when all the pumps were off so I could examine things and as I looked at the thermometer it started to increase 1 deg and another and another.Thermo prob is about
3" above a heater......found the culprit.

Jennifer, sorrow to read that you lost your fish as well.
Saltcreep, thank you but got my own bugs:eek:...maybe not anymore huh?

Back