Vortex Diatom Canister Filters

davidrupe

Non-member
Anybody know anything about these? Are they good bad?
I hear they can clean a tank of ick...
Any info would be great!

clean a tank from Ich? ich is a parasite correct? How would a filter do that? sounds like creative marketing to me.

Supposidly it is so fine a filter it cleans everything. You don't run it all the time. Just for a couple of hours.
Somebody got info for me?

I used to have one about 10 years ago. I used it primarily to 'polish' the water on my freshwater tanks. The diatomaceous earth that acts as the filter media can trap very small particles...something like down to 1 micron.
As far as ich goes, I'm sure the filter would trap any free-floating forms of the parasite, but it is my understanding that either the ich parasite is on the fish or it drops to the substrate where it waits to infect another fish. I'm not sure how long it hangs out in a free-swimming phase.
One drawback to that filter is that it would trap any plankton that is in the water as well.
Also they are a complete pain in the butt to use.

This filter has been around for 35 plus years I used one way back (30 years) on a fish only tank but only to mix new water with or Polish the tank water occasionally. Yes it is a PITA and I would not run it all the time as it will filter out some good stuff.

I purchased one about six months ago for cleanups when I do my three week water changes. They do a good job of filtering with the diatomaceous powder but they are a pita to use. They say you can simply back flush to clean but the powder cakes to the bottom of the jar and filter bag and needs to be disassembled to clean. They are also hard to prime and usually makes a mess of my floor by the time I'm through. The design is about fifty years behind the times, and the screws are not even stainless steel, its really not designed for salt water use. I would not depend on it to rid a tank of Ich, I know they say it can.

If you are willing to put up with it's shortfalls and keep it clean and dry to prevent rust it's great for spot cleanups.

I have the new larger one "XL" like new condition I'll sell.

Back