Wanted: Veteran Reefer

Reefer Rally

Greetings all,

First of all, thank you to Jason "Owenz" for offering his time to get the ball rolling.

Thanks to all who had input on the equipment and for offering their thoughts and let me give you a bit more food for thought:

The tank will be located outside the front office, in the main hallway of the school. This hallway is the quarterdeck of the school and very tightly controlled for behavior and traffic. The school is an extended day, extended year school, which means, someone is in the building every day, all year long (More or less).

To everyone who offered labor and/or material support, I will be contacting you directly. I can pick up donations within an hour and a half outside of Boston, and anyone who donated to the project will be recognized as a contributor. This is an experiment in community building and we have proposed that we can do this at a cost of less than $300 to the school to start up. Things started when the owners of Animal Adventures, in Bolton (www.animaladventures.net) donated the tank and setup. Since then we have had many people say, thanks to Jason, they had live rock and sand and other things they would be willing to donate, we are inspired that many hands will make light work and this project can be very successful.

We are all excited to see how our new formed community will thrive and be on the lookout for regular photo updates.

I can be reached by email at [email protected] although there seems to be technical issues and I'm slow to connect recently, so please be patient.

Welcome to the Board, David.

Let me assure you that you'll be visiting this message board fairly often once the tank is up and running. Say what you will about reef keeping books and articles, but for my money, there is no better source of advice and information than the responses of real, practicing reef keepers like the ones who frequent this message board. Questions will arise and this is a great place to get answers.

The only thing we request of you, David, is that you provide us with updates and pictures as this project moves forward. I and others will always be ready to help.

Jason

Greetings all,

A quick update as to where things stand on the school tank. Last week I emailed everyone who offered donations to the project and technical support. At the moment, I am waiting to hear back from Grendel regarding his donation of the RO/DI unit and live rock. Once I hear back from him, I can get a better idea when we can get people to come in to plumb the whole thing together, and then we can start adding water.

Again, if anyone has anything they think they want to contribute, I can travel an hour and a half outside the Boston area to pick up. We are finding that if a lot of people contribute just a little things get done and rather nicely at that.

More to come. . .

Back