Weekly Poll: Protein Skimming

Which is Your Preferred Method of Skimming?

• Wet

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Dry

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • In the MIddle

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • None at all

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
I like to skim somewhere in between dry and wet. I usually get a thick coating inside the neck and cover and a nice dark skimate in the cup. I said usually due to the fact that once every few months my skimmer decides to overflow and go crazy on me for no apparent reason.

I aim for my dry than wet, but try not to mess with it too much. My nutrients are consistent where I want so I don't chase skimate!

I skim whatever this is
fd283756f504f68d742cb47167944d14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to skim dry. Then my skimmer went out of wack and would be dry for a day then wet skim. New skimmer to be installed this week. I will let you know how it skims compared to my freebie I got that lasted 2 years.

I try to run mine in the middle. I wait till I get a good film in the collect cup. It is very strange though that the skimmer will be running great with nice bubbles and water level, but at time it seems to all of a sudden the water level and bubbles drop like I opened the discharge valve wide open. Reef Octopus 150INT skimmer with brand new pump.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I try to run mine in the middle. I wait till I get a good film in the collect cup. It is very strange though that the skimmer will be running great with nice bubbles and water level, but at time it seems to all of a sudden the water level and bubbles drop like I opened the discharge valve wide open. Reef Octopus 150INT skimmer with brand new pump.

Does this happen to anyone else?
No idea on that bud, I haven't ran a big skimmer in years. Soon enough though.

I have wet skimming. To tell you all the true, I started in that way in 2014 with my new RSM250 because that was the only way i could setup the skimmer without dumping a lot of skim stuff back in the tank (overflow).

It worked, at least is what I think, because i never changed the setup.

Daniel

It's on a 90gal with a 30gal sump. When big with the skimmer you know bigger is always better. The tank is about 2.5 months old with 2 fish some live rock. Upgrading 72 to 90

It's on a 90gal with a 30gal sump. When big with the skimmer you know bigger is always better. The tank is about 2.5 months old with 2 fish some live rock. Upgrading 72 to 90

If interesting, definitely not a case of overskimmer and losing foam head. Does it correlate to when you add something or sticking you hands in the tank? I have a 120 rated skimmer on my 40 gallon and it maintain fine so I fee ya on the bigger is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back